Australian restaurant slapped with fine after chef was caught 'cooking with pet food'

Australian restaurant slapped with fine after chef was caught 'cooking with pet food'

If all those episodes I've watched of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares are anything to go by, then owning a restaurant sounds like a difficult and punishing business. Not only do you have to deal with the heat and intensity of a thriving kitchen, you've got rude customers, difficult employees and health violations to worry about, and that's not even with Gordon Ramsay yelling obscenities at you at every opportunity.

There are plenty of things you've got to consider when owning a restaurant, and one of the most important factors is considering your supply chain. Getting ingredients for your menu at a good quantity, quality and price is a precarious balancing act for many a thriving eatery, but one restaurant out in Australia is under fire for their... creative approach to the problem.

Credit: Facebook

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm eating dog or cat food on the regular, it's a pretty big indication that I've run out of money for the month. I've seen my cat eat random moths it catches in the house and watched dogs literally gobble down their own poop, so anything that they'd enjoy is almost definitely bad for me.

If you have been to Cafe Marica located in Perth anytime soon, you might be horrified to learn that you could very easily have eaten pet food, and paid quite a bit for it too. They're catching quite a bit of heat in the food community after pet food was discovered in their kitchen.

Ordered to pay a sum of nearly $14,000 for failing to prevent pet meat being handled where food was sold, owner Kopikaran Krishnasamy defended his restaurant against the allegations, saying there's a perfectly good explanation for there being pet food in their kitchen.

Starting by saying that the meat was never served to people, Krishnasamy then followed that up by asserting that the meat in question wasn't even pet food - it was just labelled that way, see, to avoid tighter food regulations.

A spokesperson for the restaurant, however, has added to this particular story - one involving a new supplier and a chef who couldn't read English. The spokesperson says that Cafe Marica was unable to go with their usual supplier, so on the recommendation of a customer, they went with a new one, who gave them the bag labelled "Pet Meat - Not for Human Consumption".

The pet food bag was set aside (it's only a violation if the bag is open), from there, the non-English-speaking chef went to work; he couldn't read the label, and began preparing the pet food as if it were meat. I like to think that when the chef was reached for comment, he replied "mujhe samajh nahin aata".

Then, things got worse: at that very moment, a food inspector from the city of Gosnells walked in, and that's why it looked like they were cooking pet food for their customers. They'll still have to pay the fines, sadly.