24 Celebrity facts that will change the way you look at them forever
You might think you know everything about celebrities. They appear on countless talk shows and discuss their personal lives. Tabloids breathlessly report the latest gossip (true or untrue). And thanks to social media, stars can share every thought on Twitter and their most intimate photos and videos on Instagram. If you went on Jeopardy!, and one of the category was "Celebrities,' you'd probably feel pretty confident.
However, there are some surprising facts that have slipped through the cracks. Do you know which celebrity has four nipples? How about which celebrity helped save survivors from the rubble on 9/11? What actor used to work in the circus as a lion tamer? Celebrities are three dimensional people, but often we just see one in their carefully constructed public image.
Here are 24 celebrity facts that will change the way you look at them forever.
1. After getting a flat tire in South Africa, Benedict Cumberbatch was abducted by six men with guns. They tied him up, threw him in the trunk and then let him go without explanation.
"I came to terms with mortality and dying on my own about four times in the space of half an hour, and the whole thing went on for two hours."
2. As a child, Rebel Wilson got malaria and hallucinated that she won an Oscar. This inspired her to become an actress.
3. In 1987, Matthew Broderick was driving in Northern Ireland, and accidentally killed two people in a car accident. (A 28-year-old woman and her 63-year-old mother.) His Ferris Bueller's Day Off co-star Jennifer Grey was riding shotgun, and briefly withdrew from acting due to the trauma.)
4. When Glenn Close was a child, her father forced her to join a right-wing religious cult called 'Moral Re-Armament'
"You basically weren't allowed to do anything, or you were made to feel guilty about any unnatural desire."
5. Before Jason Statham was an action movie star, he was a professional diver.
6. Oprah's name on her birth certificate is "Orpah"
"My aunt had chosen the name, but nobody knew how to spell it, so it went down as 'Orpah' on my birth certificate."
7. When Ariana Grande was five years old, she was struck by hockey pucks at two different Panthers games, just ten months apart.
8. While Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling were shooting The Mickey Mouse Club, they lived together, and Justin's mom became Ryan's legal guardian. (His mother had to stay in Canada because of her job.)
9. Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester was born in jail, while her mother was serving time for smuggling drugs.
"It makes me very nonjudgmental and open-minded. And I think it just makes me appreciate the things that I have now."
10. Tom Hanks is related to American's iconic president, Abraham Lincoln.
11. Tim Allen, the star of several family friendly movies and TV shows, was arrested at a Michigan airport in 1978 for possessing 1.5 pounds of cocaine.
12. Robin Williams was a huge fan of The Legend Of Zelda, and named his daughter Zelda as a tribute.
13. Zooey Deschanel is actually a natural blonde.
14. Steve Buscemi used to be a firefighter, and the terrorist attack on 9/11, he helped survivors escape from the rubble.
15. When Star Wars princess Carrie Fisher (R.I.P.) was a teenager, she had an "acid problem" and Hollywood legend Cary Grant helped her out.
"My mother got worried about me because I was doing too much LSD. She had Cary Grant call me about my acid problem."
16. Tom Brady claims that he has never tasted a strawberry (although he did taste defeat at this year's Super Bowl.)
17. When Julie Andrews was filming the famous hilltop scene in "The Sound Of Music," the helicopter flung her into the mud every time it flew by.
18. Mark Wahlberg is a member of the "Triple Nipple Club."
19. Harry Styles has four nipples, and it's a condition called polythelia.
20. Best-selling author J.K. Rowling was fired from her job as a secretary, because they caught her writing stories on her computer. She used the severance pay to write Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Today she is a billionaire.
21. Before he was an Avenger, Jeremy Renner was a make-up artist.
22. When Christopher Walken was younger, he worked in the circus as a lion tamer.
23. Woody Harrelson's father, Charles, was a hitman, convicted for multiple murders, and was allegedly involved in the assassination of JFK.
24. Denzel Washington broke his pinky finger so many times while playing football that whenever he opens his hand, it pops to the side. Now he uses this 'magic finger' to terrify his kids.
Congratulations! Now if you go on Jeopardy!, and one of the categories is 'Celebrities,' you are going to crush it. But if one of the categories is 'Quantum Physics,' you're screwed. I can't help you out with that one.