Will Smith and Martin Lawrence appear to confirm reunion for a third 'Bad Boys' movie
Everyone knows that Bad Boys ride together and die together, so perhaps it should have come as little surprise when Will Smith and Martin Lawrence reunited this week to officially confirm Bad Boys 3.
Lawrence made all of our hopes and dreams come true when he took to Instagram to post a picture of himself and 50-year-old Smith posing together in Los Angeles, California on Thursday.
In his caption, he revealed that 23 years after the first film, the two stars would be reprising their roles as Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowrey.
The words all fans had been waiting for read: "It’s official. Bad Boys for Life. #teammartymar #badboysforlife@willsmith #weback".
The announcement had all fans of the films thrilled, with many taking to the comment section to share their joy.
"My prayers have been answered," wrote Instagrammer @nuke_almighty. He was joined by @jessia_does_it who put "I’m so ready!!!!!!!!!," as well as @almahgram who revealed his excitement for the project, saying: "So waiting to pay for the movie tickets!!! #badboysforlife ?".
The post comes only weeks after Variety reported that Smith was ready to return as Miami detective Mike, but Lawrence continued to "circle" the project.
Sony refused to comment at the time, but Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch reportedly claimed: "If we’re going to make another ‘Bad Boys’ after 15 years, it’s got to be next-level great".
The first part of the highly-popular action franchise was made back in 1995 and grossed $141.4 million worldwide on just a $19 million budget. The sequel, Bad Boys II, followed in 2003, bringing in an even bigger $273 million worldwide.
Fans of the film series have been waiting for a third movie to be made for years now, with the project ony semi-confirmed and going through several different scripts drafts.
In 2016, Smith spurred speculation when he told Jimmy Kimmel that a movie was soon to emerge. "It is very, very, very close. It is very close," he said, before continuing to heap praise on his co-star. "I love that dude. That's among the best times I've ever had making movies. So I'm looking forward to it."
However, the next year, Lawrence revealed that he didn't expect another sequel to happen, stating that he was keen to get filming but Smith was too busy to take part.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, he said: "I don't think we're going to get one, not the way everything's turning out. Will is off doing another movie, and I don't think it's going to happen. I'm there. I'm ready right now. If they wanted to do it, I'm ready, but I don't have control of that. That's the studio decision."
While not yet confirmed by Sony, it has been reported that the plan is to have Bad Boys 3 in cinemas in January 2020, over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend.
We can't wait.