Loading...

Dana White has had his say on the McGregor-Diaz trilogy rumour

The year 2017 been a pretty great one for Conor McGregor. Not only did he make his official boxing debut, showing plenty of fight and poise in going down admirably to Floyd Mayweather back in late August, but this year also marked the first time the 29-year-old Irishman became a father, with Conor McGregor Jr being born in May.

With McGregor now perhaps the household name when it comes to MMA and his star rising by the day, his task now that he's reached the heights of sporting stardom is to stay there. That mission kicks off in earnest later this year when McGregor is expected to return to the UFC, and in familiar territory there may be a very familiar opponent.

alt Credit: Getty

There have been several reports that Conor McGregor is agreeing a deal to take on Nate Diaz, in a fight we've seen twice before, but one that still holds plenty of intrigue. Diaz defeated McGregor by submission in March 2016, but McGregor knocked him out in the return bout five months later, meaning this titanic tussle is tied at one each.

Sports pundits and fans across the globe are speculating that Conor McGregor will square off against Nate Diaz in Las Vegas on December 30, and the internet was delighted to hear of McGregor potentially returning to the arena where he's made his name so far. UFC chief Dana White, however, poured cold water on those suggestions on Twitter.

That's in response to a skeptical fan, who was himself responding to a report about the fight being announced, saying: "Until this is confirmed by @danawhite and the @ufc I'm not buying what you're selling." As you can see, this particular report was spectacularly not confirmed by Dana White. But could there be a twist in the tale?

Yes, Dana White has clearly denied that a fight has been confirmed, but MMA fans with a good memory will note that Dana White has been unequivocal in his denials before. A lot of the time, though, he's been wrong. Remember when he said that women would never fight in the UFC? And then they did?

Or when he said that he would "never take the risk of headlining a show with Jon Jones again" after Jones failed a drug test at UFC 200? And then he headlined UFC 214? White has also stated that Georges St-Pierre would never fight again, but here he is, headlining UFC 217. Long story short, let's take White's assertions with a pinch of salt.

Whatever happens from hereon in, I wouldn't expect it to be too long before Conor McGregor is back in the Octagon. His historic fight with Floyd Mayweather was a strong indicator of McGregor's standing in the world of MMA and combat sport as a whole, and you can be sure that fans will be clamouring for another peek at one of sport's biggest names at the moment.

Dana White might sound pretty certain that return won't be against Nate Diaz on December 30, but I say there's never any smoke without fire, and White's been wrong many, many times before.