17 Truly powerful photos of the NFL players who protested the national anthem
It's been more than a year since Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem for the San Francisco 49ers ahead of the 2016 NFL season. Kaepernick was protesting the ill treatment of minorities in the United States, and his controversial actions were soon replicated all throughout American sport.
Fast forward to the present day, though, and Kaepernick's actions are looked back on less fondly in some quarters. The 29-year-old became a free agent at the close of last season and is yet to find a new team, while Donald Trump referred to him as a "son of a bitch" for failing to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner.
The president also attacked the NFL, and urged fans to boycott football games if players persisted in "disrespecting our flag & country".
With so much at stake, it would be interesting to see how the Baltimore Ravens and the Jacksonville Jaguars responded when they locked horns in London's Wembley Stadium on Sunday, not least the rest of the league as games kicked off around the country. If these photos are anything to go by, President Trump is going to have to try a lot harder to deter the NFL from standing by Colin Kaepernick.
1. Both the Ravens and the Jaguars showed immense solidarity during the national anthem
2. The Jaguars locked arms as the Star-Spangled Banner played
3. Jaguars owner Shad Khan locked arms with his team
4. Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers declared his team wouldn't be coming out at all for the national anthem
5. The Philadelphia Eagles showed their solidarity
6. Defending champions the New England Patriots kneeled during the anthem as well
7. Television networks were sure to take note of every anthem around the country
8. The Cleveland Browns were unequivocal in their support of Kaepernick when they took on the Colts
9. Jeffrey Lurie stands in solidarity with his Eagles players during the anthem
10. A smattering of players kneeled for the Detroit Lions
11. The New Orleans Saints had players sitting during the anthem
12. Both the Buffalo Bills and the Denver Broncos kneeled, showing how they felt
13. Players raised their fists in protest at the game between the Eagles and the New York Giants
14. The New York Jets had one word to say during the national anthem
15. Even the singer of the national anthem at the Falcons-Lions game took a knee
16. Aaron Rodgers, one of the NFL's best players, posted this on Instagram before the games kicked off
As players around the world showed their solidarity in the wake of President Trump's threatening and polarising comments, it just goes to show how standing up for our fellow is way more important than sports or ticket sales.
One player who didn't get to kneel, however, is Colin Kaepernick; still without a team following his actions last season. Kaepernick's career in the NFL looks in the balance, but his actions that day in August 2016 will never be forgotten.