Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have both been suspended by the UFC
After all the build-up to the showdown between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor at UFC 229 last week, all the post-match talk hasn't even been about Khabib's victory, but what happened immediate afterward.
Khabib jumped into the crowd, apparently targeting McGregor's training partner Dillon Danis, who he claims had insulted him in the road to the fight. In addition to this, three of the Russian's teammates charged the octagon, attacking McGregor. Following this chaotic incident, Khabib defended his reasoning for resorting to violence, but apologised for what happened.
However, the UFC fighter has also leapt to the defence of his teammate Zubaira Tukhugov, one of the men who went for McGregor. All three men were arrested, but McGregor chose not to press charges.
UFC President Dana White said at the time that he didn't want to see any of the three who attacked McGregor work in the UFC ever again, a claim which angered Khabib. On Instagram, he wrote:
"Why didn't you fire anyone when their team attacked the bus and injured a couple of people? They could have killed someone there, why no one says anything about insulting my homeland, religion, nation, family?
"Why do you have to punish my team, when both teams fought. If you say that I started it, then I do not agree, I finished what he had started.
He then went on to insist that he would leave the UFC if Tukhugov is banned from the organisation, stating that he would stand by his "brother".
Following the fight, McGregor received his earnings as usual, but Khabib has had his $2 million withheld by the UFC President, until the Nevada State Athletic Commission completes their investigation into what happened. NSAC executive director Bob Bennett confirmed to MMA Junkie that a "comprehensive investigation" was currently taking place, and now we may know at least part of the punishment.
According to ESPN, Bennett has now made a decision on the matter, choosing to temporarily suspend both McGregor and Nurmagomedov.
The fact that McGregor is implicated may give credence to Khabib's assertion that he threw the first punch that night. A hearing will take place on October 24 to determine whether they should be indefinitely suspended, after the matter is further investigated.
However, White believes that the suspension for Khabib shouldn't go too far. In an interview with TMZ Sports, he said:
"They took his whole purse right now and they're talking about keeping his purse - I do not think that that should happen, you should not be able to keep his whole purse.
"I think they should take $250,000 from him. [He] absolutely keeps his title. And he's going to get suspended, so maybe you give him a four to six months suspension."
We won't know until October 24 what the extent of the punishment will be for both Nurmagomedov and McGregor - but either way, they won't be working for the UFC for at least a few months.