Conor McGregor responds to video of Floyd Mayweather in an MMA cage in typically brutal fashion

Conor McGregor responds to video of Floyd Mayweather in an MMA cage in typically brutal fashion

Ever since their damp squib of a boxing match way back in August 2017, Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather have been busy spending their cash, making headlines and trading verbal blows. Whether it's Mayweather dropping endless amounts of money on different houses and art, or McGregor reportedly getting into beef with an Irish cartel and a 16-year-old, the two fighters have continued to stay in the public eye.

Unsurprisingly, given the amount of revenue it would more than likely bring in, a re-match has been touted, but under a different set of rules. The original fight saw McGregor trade the Octagon for a boxing ring and now people want Mayweather to go the other way. While UFC involves using a whole different skill set, including grappling, kicking and punching, it appears that the fight has been explored.

However, the much-mooted event is currently pie in the sky and hearsay at this stage, but Dana White, the President of UFC, said that the company had been in contact with Mayweather about a potential deal:

"We’re talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal. It’s real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real?" he said.

"Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren’t real? He usually tips his hand when he’s in the media and then that sh*t ends up happening. We’re interested in doing something with Floyd. Everything is a realistic possibility. Mayweather vs. McGregor f*cking happened. Anything is possible!"

Mayweather has also claimed that he would be interested in a fight. In a video uploaded onto YouTube, the undefeated boxer confidently said:

"They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back. I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC.

"I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three – or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I’m Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather."

Now, however, the boxer has delivered his strongest hint that he may be in line for a debut in the UFC. Taking to his Twitter account yesterday, Mayweather uploaded a video of himself training in an MMA gym and entering an Octagon. According to TMZ, Mayweather hired out the entire Syndicate MMA gym in Las Vegas on Monday (January 29) for a private workout session.

It's not known whether the fighter was genuinely training for an MMA fight or whether he was just going for a boxing workout. Whatever the case, Conor McGregor saw the video and in traditional fashion, sent back a brutal and hilarious response. Replying to Mayweather on Twitter, Mcgregor wrote:

"Hahahaha very good.
Keep up the good work my son.
Yours sincerely,
Senior."

Unsurprisingly, Twitter went into meltdown after the response, with the tweet receiving 42,000 retweets and 129,000 likes. It also started a major debate between the fans of both fighters over who would win.

Both men seem keen on the fight and if they can make it happen, it would elevate UFC to a whole new level. Although, given the nature of the sport, surely Mayweather wouldn't last one round in the cage?