Fired WWE star Enzo Amore speared by security after gatecrashing Survivor Series
WWE is known for its dramatic storylines, in which fights are derailed by scripted betrayals and shock entrances, but there is always the chance for unscripted moments to take attention away from the night's events. At the Survivor Series pay-per-view event last weekend, a former wrestler for WWE made an appearance - and not one intended by the producers.
Enzo Amore (real name Eric Arndt) worked for them for six years. He was a member of their developmental brand NXT up until 2016, at which point he rose up to become part of the main roster. Things went south for the wrestler earlier this year, however, when it was alleged that he had sexually assaulted a woman in Phoenix three months before.
According to authorities, officers had responded to a local hospital in October 2017, regarding a sexual assault that had occurred at the Clarendon Hotel and Spa a few days earlier. While Arndt was implicated in the crime, he denied the allegations, and it was later revealed that he would not face charges due to a lack of evidence.
"There are no words to describe what this feels like," the woman who testified against him said in a statement following this ruling, "to know that my rapist is walking away from this, free of charges, and will continue to be a part of society today."
In January, the WWE released a statement to KNXV in Phoenix, where they explained that they were suspending Arndt. “WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving sexual harassment or sexual assault," the statement read. "Until this matter is resolved, Eric Arndt (aka Enzo Amore) has been suspended.”
Then, just one day after he was suspended, it was then reported that he had been fired - and he ceased his ongoing appearances for the company.
Now, after several months have passed since his suspension and subsequent firing, he has returned to a WWE event in his public persona - although not in any official capacity.
As it turned out, Amore has managed to enter the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday Night utilising a disguise, wearing a wig and a low-key tracksuit - before he unveiled his signature blonde hair in the crowds.
"Nobody would know I'm the two-time champ, know what I mean?" he said in full disguise, in a video taken before he got into the event.
He proceeded to recite several of his catchphrases from his WWE days, but was soon taken down by security, who then removed him from the arena. One fan caught the moment he was tackled by security on video, which he promptly uploaded onto Twitter.
And here's another angle of the takedown:
As he was ushered out of the arena, some fans in the audience cheered him - but it sounds as if they were mostly drowned out by jeers and boos.
Once news of it spread, WWE fans had plenty to say about his shock appearance.
And there were some compliments shared for the security guard who took him away.
On top of this, WWE didn't air it on the network - which seems to confirm it wasn't a part of any scripted event.
And then, the wrestler took to Twitter to post this:
This wasn't the only controversy surrounding this weekend's pay-per-view event, as Becky Lynch recently had to drop out after sustaining real injuries inside the ring.