Little Caesars meal gives two-year-old second degree burns after delivery mishap

Little Caesars meal gives two-year-old second degree burns after delivery mishap

If you're after some good old delivery pizza but at a lower cost than the exorbitant fare you've got at Domino's or Pizza Hut, then Little Caesars is definitely the way to go. Some people like to complain about the comparative quality, but the way I see it, pizza is pizza, and those people are snobs. Little Caesars is great.

But one mother out in Georgia is furious after an order reportedly put her little daughter in the hospital, where she was treated for second-degree burns. Koddi Dunn is considering legal action, upset that the pizza place didn't do more after a mix-up at the restaurant caused her order to be way too hot, resulting in painful burns for her young daughter Jordyn.

Recently, Little Caesars introduced a $5.99 Hot-N-Ready Classic pizza promotion deal, where Little Caesars claimed they were "making lives more convenient with an Unbeatable Nationwide Price". But for this young family, this Hot-N-Ready pizza was perhaps a little too hot, and perhaps a little too ready.

After a day out at her mother's house in Cornelia, Georgia, Koddi Dunn thought she would take her three kids to Little Caesars for a nice meal on the way home. Stopping off at the restaurant, Dunn handed the pizza to her 15-year-old son, who passed to his brother and his two-year-old sister Jordyn.

It wasn't long, however, before Jordyn started screaming.

According to Dunn, the manager on duty explained that because of how busy the restaurant was at the time, a vital part of the process had been skipped. While usually, once a pizza is ready, it's put down and allowed to cool, but on this occasion, that wasn't happening - pizzas were getting handed out right away.

So, a pizza that should have been at around 165 degrees was instead at over 400 degrees, and Jordyn tried to eat something that was way too hot for human consumption. Bits of scalding hot cheese and sauce had dripped onto her skin, and Dunn had to take her children to the Emergency Room at Gwinnett Medical Center, where Jordyn was treated for second degree burns.

"Why would they put a 400-degree item in a box and hand it to a customer without warning?" Dunn said to 11Alive after the fact. "That's not what they normally do. The pizza is supposed to cool before it’s ever distributed. Even when you make pizza at home they tell you to allow it to cool for 5 minutes. And the box hid the heat!"

By the time doctors tended to Jordyn's injuries, her skin was covered in blisters.

"As a mom, I never would have passed it back [to my children] had I known that a 400-degree burning pizza was in it," said Dunn, explaining that she was told by management that nobody would respond to her complaint. "A $5 box of pizza should NEVER end with a trip to the ER."