17 confessions from flight attendants that may put you off flying
Flying can be an uncomfortable experience at the best of times, and at the worst downright terrifying.
There is something eerily unnatural about hurtling through the air at 500 miles per hour in something akin to a long and slightly cramped tube, and flying undoubtedly brings out the worst of humanity.
Perhaps it is the perpetual stress of arriving on time, queuing for hours to drop one's bags off and shuffle through security, possibly it is the slightly over-zealous stag party standing behind you chanting ceaseless nonsense about unspecified indignities. Either way, before one even clambers aboard the plane, flying is a demanding and tiring pursuit.
Once you are settled on your seat and the frankly terrifying white knuckle rig-moral of taking off is complete, though, the harrowing details of life aboard a plane are sure to amaze and astonish. Here, then, are 22 confessions from flight attendants that might put you off the whole institution for life.
1. If you thought planes were deep cleaned between flights, think again
Aeroplanes are deep cleaned roughly once a month, though a cursory tidy up is conducted between trips.
2. People genuinely do attempt to 'go to the bathroom together' on occasion
Not on every flight by any means, though people who do it should know that is ridiculously unhygenic.
3. The sounds of kids crying will never leave you
It will pierce through your soul.
4. Crew members often have relationships
It happens all the time.
5. Several airlines offer occassional free flights for crew members
And others provide discounted rates.
6. Those earbuds aren't new
They are reused. Even if you get them from a resealable bag.
7. Oh and the blankets? They're re-used, too
Washed, but not brand new by any means.
8. The 'brace' positions advised by airlines are actually meant to protect you, rather than quicken your death as some believe
9. The water tank that your hot water for tea and coffee comes from? It's not cleaned that often
Whenever someone remembers it needs doing, basically.
10. There is food waste on pretty much every flight
11. If you're going to be drunk, be a nice drunk
Otherwise security will be waiting for you when you land.
12. Outside of widely used signals, crew members don't use secret codes to communicate
13. Crew members might have different romantic interests in different cities
14. There's no upper limit on snack allowance, unless you are rude and ungrateful
Just be polite.
15. People leave their bags behind surprisingly often
Despite the reminders to take all belongings with you.
16. Passengers hit on crew members less than you might think
17. It is definitely possible to get a seat upgrade
If you ask in the right way.
17 facts that might well change the way you view airplane travel for good. Don't be too put off, though, just work on your seat upgrade request technique and you'll be flying like the rich and famous in no time.