Missing Alabama Woman Found Alive After Month In The Wilderness

Missing Alabama Woman Found Alive After Month In The Wilderness

A 25-year-old woman from Alabama has miraculously been found alive after spending over a month in the wilderness with no food, phone, or money.

Lisa Theris got lost in the dense forest after she had been with two men who had broken into a hunting lodge in Midway, Alabama. Apparently Theris was unaware of the intentions of the two men, so she left the area as soon as the robbery began, as she did not want to be involved in the crime.

Lisa-Theris-Hooters Credit: Facebook

However, the student didn't know the area well, and she got lost in the forest with no way of contacting anybody, and a multi-country search for her began. Luckily for Theris, she was found by a woman who saw movement in a bush from her car near highway 82.

It's been reported that the radiology student had lost over 50lbs during the ordeal, and that her body was covered in scratches and bug bites.

After Lisa was found alive and well, Sheriff Raymond Rodgers said that he received a call from the passing woman, saying: "She called us and told us she had located the missing person. Finally the young lady has been found and she's alive.

lisa-theris-legs Credit: WSFA

"She's not familiar with this area and apparently on the night she ran, she went into the woods at night and got lost," said Sheriff Rodgers.

The two men that Lisa was with, Manley Davis, 31, and Randall Oswald, 36, were arrested for allegedly stealing $40,000 worth of items, including quad bikes and chainsaws.

Lisa-theris-convict Credit: Troy PD

Lisa-Theris-Convict Credit: Troy PD

Before being found by the passerby, Theris said she had began to lose her mind due to the lack of food. She claims she was forced to eat wild berries and mushrooms in order to stay alive, as well as drinking from puddles and brooks.

Rodgers said that although they wanted to question the woman about the robbery, their first concern was Lisa's health: "We didn't ask her too many questions," said Sheriff Rodgers. "We want to make sure her health is good so we got her on to the hospital. We did not interrogate her at that time."

Sergeant Chad Faulkner repeated this sentiment, saying: "We don't have the total details on everything yet. We wanted to make sure her health was in the best shape and in the days to come, we'll get some answers. She's alive and that's all that matters at this moment."

Theris is now back with her family in Louisville and is said to making a slow, but stable recovery: "She is severely weakened, she is in pain, she is emaciated," said her sister, Elizabeth. "There is not an inch of her that has not been affected [...] we are lucky that she is alive, she is so strong and has made it through so much."

While it was no doubt a traumatic experience for the student, you've got to admire her sense of survival, I'm not too sure I would last a month in the wild on my own. Besides, it's not all bad news; look at that tan!