Seven-year-old boy suffers severe asthma attack after eating 'dragon's breath' at a mall

Seven-year-old boy suffers severe asthma attack after eating 'dragon's breath' at a mall

I'm not a parent, but I've been around my mother and father for long enough to realise how precious children are to the people who brought them into this world.

From our first words and steps to the moment we move out of the house, I can imagine that for parents, there's a huge internal battle between wanting your child to be safe, and letting them free into the world so they can truly fulfil their potential.

So strong is that urge to protect, it must be agony for any mom or dad see their offspring get put in harm's way, and I really feel for this mother out in Florida after her seven-year-old son suffered a severe asthma attack after eating a candy known as 'dragon's breath' at the mall.

Racheal McKenny from St Augustine was out at the mall with her son Johnny, and posted to Facebook last week to raise awareness about Johnny's ordeal, and prevent similar incidents in the future.

"There is a snack served at mall kiosks called 'Dragon’s Breath'. It’s a liquid nitrogen infused cereal that, when eaten, allows you to blow smoke like a dragon. Sounds pretty neat, right?" wrote McKenny on the social media website, who revealed that she was taking Johnny to the Avenues mall in Jacksonville when she came across the candy.

"On our way out, we let the kids split one order of the Dragon’s Breath cereal treats," explained McKenny, including a video of Johnny enjoying the treats. But before long, Johnny - who is asthmatic, having had a prescribed inhaler for five years - started coughing uncontrollably.

"About 10-minutes into the ride home, Johnny started an occasional cough. Around 20 minutes in, the cough became really consistent. By the time we passed the Palencia sub division, he was coughing so bad that he was having trouble catching his breath. We knew he couldn’t breathe, and we knew that we couldn’t get him to the hospital in time."

Luckily for the McKenny family, Johnny knew that there was a nearby fire department that just might be able to help. Pulling into the fire station, Johnny was immediately put on albuterol, before a shot of epinephrine was required to help Johnny maintain his breathing. After a second breathing treatment, Johnny's condition stabilised, but Racheal was in no doubt as to what caused Johnny's asthma attack.

"What triggered this? The liquid nitrogen smoke from the Dragon’s Breath cereal. PLEASE, if you know someone that has even just a mild case of asthma, do NOT let them have this snack. I should have known better, but it did not occur to me that this food could have this effect. As a result, my son could have died. Please don’t make the same mistake I did."

Racheal also reports that Johnny is now recovering in hospital and is expected to be fine, but this mom would be loathe to see other kids succumb to similar fates.