24 Lies people actually thought would work
One thing that's pretty much universal about human beings is that we all have the innate ability to say things that we're certain aren't true. Your average toddler will have learned how to lie before he or she learns how to use a toilet or tie their shoe properly, while a 2002 study by the University Massachusetts says that 60 per cent of adults can't go a 10-minute conversation without uttering an untruth. Or did I make that up for the purpose of this article?
Over the course of our lives, we'll all come across a cheater or charlatan who is impossible to read, but some people are decidedly worse at lying. Sometimes, as you'll soon see, we'll catch some of these liars in the act on social media, and some of those fibs are just so ridiculous, you'll wonder how anyone could buy them.
1. I mean, what was she expecting?
2. Maybe this guy is better off without these friends...
3. Not your snake
4. A definitely undeserved bad review
5. Maybe next time, don't Google your selfie?
6. If you're an activist, please be sure to actually research the culture you're campaigning for
7. A pretty bold lie
8. Worst pickup line ever?
9. This was never going to end well
10. OP taken down on Facebook by his mom
11. Caught red-handed
12. Whoa, we've got a badass over here
13. Beware pet-shaming social media posts
14. Sounds like a bad way to avoid political arguments, dude
15. Maybe they'd be nicer if you were less "hella rude" to them?
16. This guy talking smack to Wendy's gets thoroughly put in his place
17. Well, unless she asked
18. Don't bring stupidity to a knowledge fight
19. "I've got a BA in music, trust me with your children's lives!"
20. This YouTube prank was slightly made up
21. Bow Wow caught in a hilarious lie
22. Nobody big, just the Guardian, CNN, Washington Post, and Bloomberg
23. Come on, man, it's not even in the box!
24. Cool story bro
Why do people lie? Some people want to cover themselves for their mistakes, others want to impress their friends on social media, and there are a few who just get a kick from getting away with some pretty insane bluffs. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to stop you lying anytime soon, but if you're going to do it, please do us all a favour and make yours more convincing than any of these.