A family birthday went horribly wrong after everyone accidentally ate weed cake
A family birthday took an unexpected turn after the guests accidentally ate birthday cake laced with marijuana, according to local news outlets.
3AW says that a birthday lunch taking place in Australia went horribly wrong after a "prankster" thought to add an interesting extra ingredient to the birthday cake, as explained by one of the guests present at the event, known only as Claire.
Explaining that she'd unsuspectingly taken a bite of this cake, the 50-year-old revealed she'd had an extreme reaction to the cake. "Everyone was having a lovely time and cake was passed around at dessert with fruit and cream and some nice little chocolate chunks sprinkled over it," she explained, but "it turns out the chocolate chunks contained marijuana".
"The effect was not immediate which I now know is the case with edibles. Within an hour I was experiencing throat swelling and dizziness, [and] within three hours myself and four other family members were hospitalised with overdose."
Claire explained that one of the guests, a man in his twenties, had drugged the cake with a generous dose of cannabis chocolate, Claire says that the prankster drugged the cake because he "thought it would liven up the family birthday party."
"Apparently, I'm allergic to cannabis or whatever it was in that very high dose," explained Claire, adding that she was given adrenaline, plus other treatment for anaphylaxis. Claire also said that her parents, both in their eighties, were both affected by the weed cake.
"One was vomiting, the other had an extremely high heart rate. We were all terrified because we didn't know for some hours what was going on… People were passing out… [And the hospital staff] would have been frustrated because we were all talking nonsense. Everyone who was at this event was calling one another and we didn't really know we were high."
Claire reveals that the culprit only owned up after a few hours of chaos, saying that he got the weed edibles from "a mate who gets it in the US". "It's very unusual to have such severe reactions," explained Claire, adding that she and her partner had to take several days off work to fully recover from the effects.
Of course, controversy involving marijuana-laced edibles is in no way exclusive to Australia, as a doctor based in California is battling to keep his license after he prescribed cannabis cookies to a four-year-old patient of his.
Although marijuana is completely legal in California, Dr William Eidelman was under serious threat of having his license revoked after prescribing weed cookies to a toddler patient without informing the school or a psychiatrist of his intentions.
This came after Eidelman misdiagnosed the child with bipolar disorder and ADD after he was said to be misbehaving in school, but the child reverted back to his usual state after the drug wore off. But Dr Eidelman completely intends to keep on practising, launching an appeal and saying that his lawyers have already moved to block the revocation.