Boy badly burned after attempting YouTube 'Fire Challenge'

Boy badly burned after attempting YouTube 'Fire Challenge'

A boy has been badly burned after taking part in a YouTube 'Fire Challenge'.

Like many other viral challenges, it throws personal safety and logic out the window, encouraging people to pour a flammable liquid on their body before setting themselves on fire. Needless to say, the results have the potential to be deadly.

On Saturday of last week, Jason Clearly, from Dearborn Heights, Michigan, doused himself in nail polish remover before setting himself alight. He subsequently had to spend four days in hospital suffering from second-degree burns on his chin, chest and stomach.

A boy after taking part in the fire challenge. Credit: WDIV

Now, his mother Tabatha is warning of the dangers of viral challenges. In an interview with WDIV, she said: "I just want everybody to know that these challenges, or whatever they're watching on YouTube, is not worth risking your life.

"My son got [second-degree burns], and it could've been way worse."

This is what happened to a 13-year-old girl who also attempted the 'Fire Challenge':

Tabatha was at a nearby friend's house when the incident happened and was alerted to the fact something was wrong when she heard screaming from her home.

She said: "So we came running out, and that's when his friend, Bryce, was riding him on the bike with no shirt on. And I immediately started to freak out. I'm like, 'Take him to the hospital! Take him to the hospital!'"

A boy who was burned after participating in an online challenge. Credit: WDIV

Apparently Jason and his friends had emerged relatively unscathed the first time they tried the challenge, but when they added additional nail polish remover, the flames became impossible to control.

He said: "They kept spraying it on me. Once my dad finally opened the door and said, 'Let's go to the hospital,' I was in the backseat, still in much, much pain."

Pictured below is the girl from the video above, Timiyah Landers, from Detroit, Michigan, who was said to look like a "fireball" after participating in the challenge.

A person suffering from burns. Credit: WDIV

Her mother told the Washington Post: "She looked like a fireball. She was yelling, 'Help me'.

"I was reaching through the fire. It was like a reflex. I didn't even feel the fire, I was just saving my daughter.

When she put the alcohol on her and the girl lit the fire, it just basically blew up because she already had flammable things on her anyway, perfumes and stuff like that.

They weren't expecting it to go that way. It was just a challenge, so it's a lesson learned for all of them."