Woman nearly loses her head during live TV science experiment

Woman nearly loses her head during live TV science experiment

Doing something on live TV is always a little bit risky. Even if it's rehearsed, someone could still get one of their lines wrong, or, if members of the public are involved, people sometimes say things they're not supposed to, or - as we frequently see on live news broadcasts - the signal to the main studio could be cut, leaving the presenter standing around aimlessly, not knowing they're on camera.

With all of this in mind, one Australian breakfast show, Studio 10, decided to combine live TV with something even more dangerous: a science experiment.

Two hosts in lab coats were joined by Jacob Strickling, a YouTube star known for his show, 'Make Science Fun'. The segment was all about Strickling's experiments, and the team decided to focus on one particular scientific trick in particular - but it almost ended catastrophically for one of the hosts.

The scientific procedure was a fairly simple one, and Strickling demonstrated it twice for hosts - as well as the viewers at home. He took a bottle of coke, emptied some of it, filled the space with liquid nitrogen, then quickly inverted it so that the pressure would send the bottle shooting high into the air.

Unsurprisingly, the force was a lot stronger than the usual mentos and cola experiment, making the scene quite a spectacle to watch.

After getting such a positive reaction from the crowd, Strickling decided to do it for a third time, this time enlisting the help of Natarsha Belling, one of the hosts. Unfortunately, Belling hadn't really been paying attention to the scientist's instructions the first couple of times and she panicked when he gave her the bottle rocket to hold.

As Strickling began pouring in the liquid nitrogen, Belling asked how she should hold it. The scientist seemed slightly irked by this, and said, "I've done it twice, you should have been watching."

The host then confesses, "I wasn't watching!"

Less than a second later, she quickly upends the bottle, and it propels out of frame almost too quick to see, breaking a tree branch in the process. Screams can be heard from the crowd and crew as Belling staggers backward from the shock.

Amazingly, she avoided being hit.

"I told you this was going to be the best live television ever," Strickling said afterward, trying to break the tension a little.

"Tarsh got a shocking fright and it was so lucky the branch that broke off from the explosion never hit her on the head," said Roxy Jacenko, Belling's co-host. She added: "I was lucky to only catch a fright and end up smelling like Coles cola."

Many people in the comments of the clip were quick to point out that more safety precautions should have been taken, and that the protective gear the hosts were wearing wouldn't have done much to prevent any injuries should the bottle have hit either of them.

The top comment is particularly critical:

"I cant [sic] believe people think playing with liquid nitrogen is safe. that sh*t is not safe for toying around. and there are these wannabe scientists who promote that kind of sh*t, like find some other kid-friendly science sh*t too [sic] do, you aint bill nye!"

Well, I don't think Belling will be volunteering to take part in any other science experiments any time soon - and I'm sure Strickling will think twice before handing someone a bottle of liquid nitrogen in the future.