13 Things you'll definitely know if your best friend lives a long way away
It sucks when your best friend moves away. They were there for you during the good times, the bad times and the weird times. Then all of a sudden, they're gone. For example, my best friend Tiberius moved to Antarctica because his dad is a climate scientist studying the effects of global warming on the ice caps. Sure, I can call him, but the reception isn't very good. Last time we talked, I barely heard anything. Just static. Then Tiberius said, "Help! There's a polar bear in the lab! He's eating everyone!" Then the line cut off. Oh, that Tiberius. Such a jokester! Haven't heard from him since. He's probably busy.
Here are 13 things you'll definitely know if your best friend lives a long way away.
1. When you hang out with new friends, all you can think about is your partner in crime.
Remember Joey from Friends? He was best buds with Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Monica, Phoebe and a monkey. Then he moved from New York to LA and made all new friends, but it just wasn't the same. You know he was thinking about his old pals the whole time. Especially that monkey.
2. You remember inside jokes and laugh to yourself.
I could explain what I'm laughing about, but you won't get it.
3. When something happens, you instinctively look for them to give them that look.
Can you believe this?!
Oh yeah. You're not here.
4. You passionately hate people in their lives you've never met.
Oh, so you've been hanging out with your new friend "Kate," and you and Kate did this, and you and Kate did that -- well, guess what? I'M NOT SURE I LIKE "KATE".
5. If you live in different time zones, you always seem to just miss each other.
Doesn't make for the best conversation.
6. You send them your ugliest selfies.
You know I'm beautiful.
7. You leave sloppy drunken voicemails when you can't reach them.
...and you don't have to play them back for me the next time we see each other.
8. Your phone bill is ridiculous, thanks to all those calls to catch up.
Switch to unlimited minutes, or you might be upset.
9. You constantly get "this reminded me of you" messages.
They never fail to tug at the heartstrings.
10. You send each other long pep talks.
Hey, everybody needs a little motivation.
11. You discover Facetime is the greatest invention ever.
Sorry, penicillin. Compared to Facetime, you're garbage.
12. You go through periods where you fall really out of sync.
"Hey what's up! It's been fifty years. What's new with you? I wear diapers now."
13. You do Skype movie nights and it's almost as great as the real thing.
For a couple hours, it's like your best friend never moved away. (Or 11.4 hours, if you watch the Extended Editions of all three Lord of the Rings movies.)
If your best friend lives far away, the struggle is real. But thanks to today's technology, you can keep in touch, and maintain that relationship. For example, I just realized I got a voicemail from my best friend Tiberius in Antarctica. It was a couple minutes of static, then just roaring and screaming! That prankster just won't quit. I'll have to write him an email. I wonder what he's been up to.