Muay Thai fighter suffers horrific skull injury during fight from elbow blow to the head

Muay Thai fighter suffers horrific skull injury during fight from elbow blow to the head

The world of combat sports its a savage and brutal one. It takes a certain type of person to want to partake in the industry, especially if unlike the likes of Conor Mcgregor and Floyd Mayweather, you aren't getting paid an absolute fortune for it. Although it may seem fairly obvious, given the nature of the game, those who participate in combat sports often suffer from some of the most horrific injuries you are ever likely to see.

One person who this definitely applies to is a Muay Thai fighter who is simply known as Jeremy. Jeremy has gone viral on social media after images of the brutal head injury he sustained during a fight were uploaded onto Facebook.

The incident took place when Jeremy's opponent landed a savage elbow during their fight at the Patong Stadium on Monday night. In the images, which you can see below, Jeremy was left with a horrifically fractured skull but he somehow managed to keep on fighting and didn't feel any feelings of dizziness in the slightest.

Jonny Betts, who trains alongside Jeremy at the Tiger Muay Thai gym in Phuket, posted the images of the injuries online, saying: "Bit of a nasty injury caused by a big elbow on Monday night at Patong stadium. He had surgery last night, wish him a quick recovery!"

Little is known about Jeremy, although it has been confirmed that he originates from France and that he is now out of hospital following surgery to fix the fracture. The fighter has had to have a titanium plate fitted into his skull in order to help the recovery.

Astonishingly, given the severity of the injuries, Jeremy sustained no brain damage from the incident. Betts, who uploaded the original images onto Facebook, spoke about the incident, saying that the fight was eventually stopped by the referee, despite the fact that Jeremy wanted to continue.

"It happened in a professional Muay Thai fight at a local stadium. His Thai opponent landed a big elbow strike that caused the injury.

He was fine, though. He wasn't wobbled and kept fighting, but the referee stopped the fight to get a doctor to look at the injury and the doctor obviously stopped it right away."

Jonny also took to Facebook to follow up on the original post, providing images of a smiling Jeremy who has his head wrapped up but looks happy.

"An update to yesterday’s post: Jeremy is now out of hospital following the surgery to fix up the fracture with a titanium plate. No brain injury and he was never even dizzy."

The story began to circulate on Thursday and Jonny's post has received over 1,700 shares on Facebook since he uploaded it. People on Instagram and Twitter have also been sharing the story online with many people being quick to send their best wishes to the brave French fighter.

Contact sports are undoubtedly entertaining, but they are also incredibly dangerous. While I do take an interest in them, when I see injuries like this, it makes my decision to never partake in the industry seem like a wise one.