Miami restaurant ordered shut after a rat fell from the ceiling during surprise inspection

Miami restaurant ordered shut after a rat fell from the ceiling during surprise inspection

A Florida restaurant has been ordered to shut down after a rat fell from the ceiling during a health inspection, local news reports.

El Capitan, listed as Los Frijolitos in the report, was ordered shut back on January 28 after a whopping 13 health violations were discovered in the restaurant. Los Frijolitos was one of several restaurants shut down after the health inspections, which saw several eateries taken by surprise.

Rat Credit: Getty

Los Frijolitos, located on South River Drive in Miami, was visited by health inspectors on a surprise visit, and unfortunately failed to reach the standards necessary. Detailed in the report are some of the more prominent health violations, although the location was also found "operating with an expired Division of Hotels and Restaurants license".

"Presence of insects, rodents, or other pests. Observed a rodent fall through small hole in ceiling located near fire suppression system at hood filter system at kitchen area, then hid underneath cook line equipment. Accumulation of black/green mold-like substance in the interior of the ice machine. Located behind front counter area."

El Capitan/Los Frijolitos Credit: Local10News

Although the rodent escaped the health inspector initially after falling through the ceiling, it was found underneath the line equipment. Ordered shut down on January 28, the restaurant was able to open after an ordered cleanup as well as an inspection.

The same could not be said, however, for the restaurant Peninsula Retail, which was shut down on February 2 with a whopping 21 health violations. While no pests were found in the restaurant, Peninsula Retail was also found operating without a license, the manager was also found "lacking proof of food manager certification."

Health Violation Report Credit: Local10News

There was food left unattended at the wrong temperature, including raw chicken at the front counter.

"Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Observed storage room reach in cooler; cheese (62°F - Cold Holding); milk (53°F - Cold Holding); cut lettuce (50°F - Cold Holding); alfalfa (51°F - Cold Holding) less than 4 hours per operator, employee removed all TCS products to a working reach in cooler.

Interior of reach-in cooler soiled with accumulation of food residue.

No Dishwasher machine sink is provided for ware washing. Observed establishment with no dish washing machine nor 3-comp sink. As per employee, dishwasher machine was removed to be repaired. Observed establishment has no means of washing, rinsing and sanitizing. Observed only 1 bay sink."

Rodents, in any capacity, are less than welcome in the vast majority of restaurants, and over in Hawaii, a restaurant was forced to close for several days after a viral video showed a rat being cooked on a grill. Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Mapunapuna, Hawaii, closed its doors and fired two of its employees after a video surfaced on social media of a rat being cooked on a grill.

"We are horrified a former employee would create something like this trying to destroy our reputation without regard for our 20-plus years of quality and aloha," said Richard Stula, President of Teddy's Bigger Burgers, adding that they were considering taking legal action against the employees involved.