Girlfriend of Vegas gunman Marilou Danley says she had no idea what Stephen Paddock was planning
When news of the Las Vegas shooting first broke on Sunday night, there were two suspects: Stephen Paddock, who was quickly pursued, but fatally shot himself before police could apprehend him, and Marilou Danley, who has since been identified as Paddock's girlfriend.
As with a lot events like this one, a great deal of vague and even false news emerged while police were still trying to determine the facts of the shooting. Many of the incorrect reports concerned Danley - who at one point was believed to be Paddock's accomplice in the attack.
Now, after days of speculation, she has finally broken her silence.
In a formal statement, which had been delayed due to Danley's time cooperating with authorities, the 62-year-old said she had no idea that Paddock was plotting the attack. She described the mass-murderer as 'a kind, caring, quiet man', and said she saw no change in his behaviour in the time leading up to the shooting.
Danley had been in the Philippines since two weeks prior to the attack, and only returned to the USA to speak to the FBI about Paddock. While she was out there, Paddock wired her money, which he said she was to use for a house for herself and her family. Danley did not see this as an indication that he was about to do something drastic, but rather worried that the gesture might have been a hint that he wanted to break up with her.
The investigation into what motivated Paddock to murder 59 people and injure more than 500 others is still ongoing, but authorities are struggling to piece together exactly what caused the man to 'snap', as some have described it.
"This individual and this attack didn’t leave the sort of immediately accessible thumbprints that you find on some mass casualty attacks," said FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe. In an attempt to uncover some explanation into Paddock's actions, federal investigators are examining his phone and computer.
Danley is being considered a person of interest in the case, and is currently doing what she can to provide an insight into Paddock's life before the horrific attack this weekend.
You can read her full statement below:
"I am devastated by the deaths and injuries that have occurred and my prayers go out to the victims and their families and all those who have been hurt by these awful events.
"I have faith in God and I will continue to pray for everyone who has been harmed or hurt. I am a mother and grandmother and my heart breaks for all who have lost loved ones.
"I knew Stephen Paddock as a kind, caring, quiet man. I loved him and hoped for a quiet future together with him.
"He never said anything to me or took any action that I was aware of that I understood in any way to be a warning that something horrible like this was going to happen.
"A little more than two weeks ago, Stephen told me he found a cheap ticket for me to the Philippines and that he wanted me to take a trip home to see my family.
"Like all Filipinos abroad, I was excited to go home and see family and friends. While there, he wired me money, which he said was for me to buy a house for me and my family.
"I was grateful, but honestly, I was worried that first the unexpected trip home and then the money was a way of breaking up with me.
"It never occurred to me in any way whatsoever that he was planning violence against anyone.
"I have not made a statement until now because I have been cooperating with the authorities. I voluntarily flew back to America because I know that the FBI and the Las Vegas Police Department wanted to talk to me and I wanted to talk to them.
"I will cooperate fully with their investigation. Anything I can do to help ease suffering and help in any way, I will do. Please respect my privacy and my family's privacy."