Man spends the night drinking after getting locked in a beer cooler

Man spends the night drinking after getting locked in a beer cooler

There are times in life where we have a myriad of options open to us, and choosing the correct course of action can feel a little overwhelming. There are small, everyday decisions that might not have a huge impact on our lives, like what to have for dinner, or how we spend our free time, and then there are potentially life changing decisions, like whether or not to move house, take that new job or ask for a promotion.

On other occasions, though, the course of action we should take is is plainly obvious for all to see. Sometimes, things are just meant to be.

For example, if you were to achieve a set of excellent examination results, you would be overwhelmingly likely to choose to go to an Ivy League college, it just makes sense to do so. Similarly, if you are naturally brilliant at sport, you would most likely choose to pursue your athletic talents, rather than waste them.

Sometimes, though, circumstances are outside of our own control. To pursue the sports scenario, you might get a career ending injury, which would take the decision to continue out of your own hands.

These are big decisions, potentially life altering ones. For one man who found himself somewhat trapped inside a beer cooler at a Kwik Stop store, there was really only ever going to be one eventuality.

As you have probably already anticipated, Jeremy Van Ert promptly began to drink cans of beer, apparently making the most of his circumstances. Says Marshfield Police Chief Rick Gramz;

"The subject found himself locked in the beer cooler, knew that Kwik Trip would not sell him any beer, so he decided to remain in the beer cooler. 

"A customer came by the beer cooler at about 6 a.m. and saw him inside."

It has been reported that a police report described how Van Ert drunk an 18 ounce bottle of Icehouse Beer followed by another three cans of Four Loko, before tripping over a crate of Bush Beer.

For his part, Marshfield Police Chief Rick Gramza said he has never heard of such a case occuring before;

"This is unique, I've been here twenty years. I've heard of people being locked inside of buildings, never inside of a beer cooler."

It is thought that Van Ert fled the scene after he was discovered, but has since been placed in Wood County Jail after violating his probation on an unrelated case. It has also been noted that the store in which Van Ert found himself is open 24 hours a day, and that the door of the beer cooler was made of glass, so it might have been possible for the 'trapped' drinker to signal for help if he had been so inclined.

Rather than do that, though, Van Ert took to drink, and then fled the scene without paying.