YouTube star has his head cemented inside a microwave by friends

YouTube star has his head cemented inside a microwave by friends

Since the rise of social media over the last decade or so, finding fame on the internet has never been easier. Tons of "normal" folks have been able to attain millions of followers on Twitter, Vine (which is soon to return) created a generation of comedians who could get a laugh out of an audience in just 6 seconds, and YouTube has become an actual livelihood for some individuals.

Unfortunately, the cost of that fame doesn't always come at a low price, and achieving notoriety on platforms that already have millions of people doing the exact same thing as you isn't easy. Perhaps that explains why one man, Jay Swingler, decided to cement his head into a microwave as part of a YouTube 'prank'.

The 22-year-old wrapped his head in a plastic bag (genius) before sticking it into a household microwave and filling it up with cement, which he'd mixed from seven bags of polyfilla. His intention was to use the microwave as a mold but - surprise surprise - that didn't exactly go to plan. As a result, Swingler was left looking like some kind of budget Doctor Who bad guy.

After spending 90 minutes trying to free the YouTuber, Swingler's friends resorted to calling the emergency services. Fortunately, they were able to feed an air tube through to him in the meantime.

Needless to say, though, when the fire brigade arrived, they weren't impressed with the situation.

“As funny as this sounds, this young man could quite easily have suffocated or have been seriously injured. Taking the microwave apart was tricky, because a lot of it was welded," said Shaun Dakin, the Watch Commander of the crew who responded.

The firefighters spent "nearly an hour" trying to wrestle the appliance off of Swingler's head, but obviously had to be extra cautious so as not to accidentally drive a power tool into the man's skull.

“We video-called our technical rescue colleagues for advice and eventually managed to get him unstuck," explained Dakin.

“He was very relieved when we removed a large chunk of the Polyfilla with a screwdriver, allowing him to breathe more easily. But we had to be extremely careful with the screwdriver, working so closely to his head.

“All of the group involved were very apologetic, but this was clearly a call-out which might have prevented us from helping someone else in genuine, accidental need.”

The whole ordeal was then posted to YouTube with the title, "I cemented my head in a microwave and emergency services came.. (nearly died)" and has already received nearly 900,000 views. Surprisingly, it has a mostly positive reaction, with 117,000 upvotes and only 2,000 downvotes.

The comments, on the other hand, are a pretty mixed bag of people either condemning or approving Swingler's failed 'prank'. "Lesson of the day: Use playdough next time", said the top commenter. "You full on tw*t wasting fire services time", said another.

Overall, I think there's a pretty good moral to the story: don't cement your head into a microwave. Or any other household appliance, for that matter. Actually, you know what - just stay away from cement, ok?