Israeli army is ready to launch ground invasion into Gaza
Israel's ground troops are reportedly prepared to launch an invasion into Gaza after more than 450 rockets were fired by militants in the besieged strip into Israeli territory over the last 24 hours.
The attacks are responsible for the death of the first Israeli civilian in the Israel-Palestine conflict since 2014, the Israel Defense Forces said.
Moshe Agadi, a 58-year-old father-of-four, was killed on Sunday by an early morning rocket in the Southern city of Ashkelon. More than 80 other individuals have been injured as a result of the attack.
Eight Palestinian militants were also killed and 47 injured as a result of Israeli airstrikes which were conducted as part of Israel's retaliation.
A pregnant woman and one-year-old child have died, but Israel claims their deaths were caused by a rocket misfired by the Palestinians.
In a statement to his cabinet this morning, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said:
"I instructed the military this morning to continue its massive strikes on terror elements in the Gaza Strip and ordered it to reinforce the troops around the Gaza Strip with tanks, artillery and infantry force."
Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus, a spokesman for the Israeli army, said the 7th brigade had been deployed to the border with Gaza "on standby for offensive mission".
"An armoured brigade is ready for various contingencies but earmarked for an offensive mission being by definition a mission that goes inside enemy terrain," he said.
Rocket fire erupted yesterday morning when armed factions in Gaza launched hundreds of rockets and mortars at southern Israel. This occurred after four Palestinians including two militants were killed on Friday following a shooting incident which injured two Israeli soldiers.
The sudden violence broke a month-long ceasefire brought about by Egyptian mediators who had been trying to negotiate a more long-term ceasefire between the two sides.