These are the 20 highest paid actors of 2017
The gender pay gap in Hollywood is under more intense scrutiny now than ever before.
While it may be easy to dismiss this as a champagne problem of the rich and famous, that same gender pay gap is mirrored throughout our society. Perhaps, then, while it might be galling for some to read about dizzyingly rich individuals complain about how much they are paid, it is worth remembering that their fight for equal pay has resonance in all walks of life.
Quite apart from that, in a society that likes to label itself as progressive, it is patently absurd that women - in Hollywood or otherwise - are paid less than their male counterparts for doing the same job.
With that in mind, then, here are Forbes' top earning actors for 2017 in reverse order.
20. Mark Ruffalo - $13 million
19. Chris Pratt - $17 million
18. Chris Evans - $18 million
17. Jeremy Renner - $19 million
16. Matt Damon - $21 million
15. Ryan Reynolds - $21.5 million
14. Ryan Gosling - $29 million
13. Samuel L Jackson - $30.5 million
12. Tom Hanks - $31 million
11. Chris Hemsworth - $31.5 million
10. Akshay Kumar - $35.5 million
9. Salman Khan - $37 million
8. Shah Rukh Khan - $38 million
7. Tom Cruise - $43 million
6. Robert Downey Jr. - $48 million
5. Jackie Chan - $49 million
4. Adam Sandler - $50.5 million
3. Vin Diesel - $54.5 million
2. Dwayne Johnson - $65 million
1. Mark Wahlberg - $68 million
Emma Stone, meanwhile, was the highest paid actress of the year according to Forbes, having earned $26 million - sum that would have placed her at 15th on this list of actors.