ADVERT
US3 min(s) read
The Ohio couple accused of keeping 16 children in filthy and allegedly inhumane conditions are now facing additional child sex abuse charges linked to a separate investigation involving a young relative, prosecutors say.
A Vinton County grand jury returned the new indictments on Friday, around two months after authorities raided the Siders family's home in Hamden, Ohio.
Gary Siders Jr., 37, and Elizabeth Siders, 33, were previously accused of subjecting the 16 children living at their property to appalling conditions, with investigators reportedly discovering a feces-covered home during the June 30 raid.
However, prosecutors have now revealed that the investigation that led police to the property originally concerned alleged child sexual abuse.
“Law enforcement sought the DNA of Gary Siders Jr. related to the child sex abuse case,” county prosecutors told reporters.
Authorities said they unexpectedly discovered the conditions inside the home while carrying out search warrants connected to that investigation.
“Upon serving search warrants for the child sex abuse case, the existing condition of the 16 children at the Ohmer Street house became known,” prosecutors said.
They stressed that “the child sex abuse cases involve interfamily relations and do not pose a risk to the general public.”
The alleged victim is reportedly a young relative who is not one of the couple's 16 children.
According to prosecutors, Elizabeth and Gary allegedly sexually abused a minor who was more than 10 years younger than them between January and September 2022.
Both are now facing two counts of third-degree sexual battery and a third-degree felony count of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, in addition to their existing child endangerment charges.
The new allegations reportedly emerged from a separate investigation in neighbouring Hocking County involving the alleged abuse of a minor by Josh Saunders, 23, and Brandon Henderson Sr., 40.
That investigation allegedly led authorities to evidence implicating Gary and Elizabeth in similar conduct.
Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson said the investigation remains ongoing.
“These indictments are the latest developments in the ongoing investigations, but our work is far from complete,” Wilson said in a statement.
“BCI is actively investigating these cases alongside the Vinton County Sheriff’s Office, and my office will continue to support Prosecuting Attorney William Archer as the legal process continues.”
The latest allegations come after authorities discovered 16 children living inside what officials described as horrific conditions at the Siders' home.
Gary Jr. and Elizabeth were each indicted on 19 counts of child endangerment following the discovery, including second-degree felony allegations that the children suffered serious physical harm.
Gary Jr.'s parents, Christina Siders, 68, and Gary Siders Sr., 73, have also been charged in connection with the children's living conditions.
Christina faces 19 child endangerment counts, while Gary Sr. faces 16.
The multiple charges reportedly reflect alternative legal theories prosecutors are pursuing over the conditions inside the property.
Elizabeth's attorney, Thomas Stolly, has also raised concerns about her mental state.
In a court filing, Stolly claimed she “is suffering from mental health issues and that competency may be an issue and a clear impediment to the defendant’s ability to assist in her own defense.”
The 16 children discovered at the property ranged in age from just 18 months to 18 years.
They were reportedly found living in squalid conditions inside a cramped 12-by-12-foot room.
Ohio Attorney General Wilson previously described the scene as “pure evil.”
The investigation into the Siders family and the circumstances surrounding both sets of allegations remains ongoing.