Dog rushed to vets after eating three-feet of tinsel

Dog rushed to vets after eating three-feet of tinsel

The holiday season might be the most wonderful time of the year, but it's not without its dangers. And no, I'm not just talking about having one too many at the office Christmas party.

If you've got a four-legged friend, decorations can and do cause trouble. They're something new that suddenly appears in the house and are often very attention-grabbing, which, unfortunately for one dog, resulted in an emergency trip to the vet.

Related - This dog had to be rescued from a mountain after he became too scared to walk back down: 

The incident was shared on Facebook by the veterinary surgery Vets Now. They posted a picture of a bizarre-looking x-ray, asking social media users to guess what a dog named Benji had eaten after "getting a little too excited about the festivities."

They wrote: "Benji was rushed into our Manchester hospital after getting a little too excited about the festivities and swallowing something he shouldn't have.

"Don't worry though, Benji is now on the mend and is set to make a full recovery."

The vets then decided to play a game with their followers, asking: "Can you guess what he ate? The answer will be revealed later in the week."

Now, on a first glance, it really does look like Benji could have eaten anything - fairy lights, wrapping string, the options are limitless. Some of the guesses included fairy lights, gift wrap ribbon, and tinsel.

Then Vets Now revealed in a subsequent post that he had, in fact, eaten tinsel.

It was no small amount of the decoration, but a whopping three feet worth (80 centimeters), and it had to be removed from his stomach in an emergency operation.

They wrote in an update:

"Earlier in the week we showed you Benji's x-ray after he had swallowed something he shouldn't have.

"If you guessed tinsel, you got it right.

"Benji had to have 80cm of tinsel removed from his stomach and intestines by our brilliant team in the Manchester hospital.

"You can find more information on festive hazards for dogs, and how to avoid them, on our website.

"We wish Benji and his owners a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year"

Thankfully, Benji has now made a full recovery, and Vets Now used the incident as an opportunity to warn people of the dangers that decorations can pose to animals.

Related - This woman's Christmas decorations caused conflict with her neighbors:

In an article on their website, they explained that the holiday season really is fraught with danger for our furry friends. Other potential hazards include food like chocolate and dried fruit. They also revealed that batteries can be a huge danger, which is definitely worth noting if you have children as their toys are often battery-operated.