A dog owner has taken to social media to reveal that her dog has gone blind after her eyes ''popped'' during a fireworks display.
Margaret Adams, claims that her Labrador-cross, Suzy, became so anxious and frightened as a result of the loud bangs from a fireworks shows near their home that she ended up losing her vision.
In an interview with British tabloid newspaper The Metro, Adams stated: "We were just sitting and watching television when somebody started letting off fireworks. ‘She always gets very stressed when they start and she tried to climb the walls and go into a dark corner."
Adams continued: "I didn’t notice anything until the next day when her eyes looked different. So I took her to the vet and she had actually popped a lens in her eye. They had to remove the lens from her eye and she now has glaucoma in both of her eyes. She can’t see a thing ... She does knock into things and I’ve got to be careful with her."
She added: "Suzy was given to me by my daughter after my husband died. She was a rock for me. She boosted me something terrible, she was my companion. She still is but in a different kind of way. I’m looking after her more than she’s looking after me now."
This incident has occurred just days after another dog died of a heart attack as a result of its anxiety over fireworks. Susan Paterson took to a public Facebook group called Wombwell Wise to share an image of her black Labrador puppy, which had been so frightened of the racket that it had gone into cardiac arrest and died.
Paterson captioned her post: "Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack. Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks. "Watch this video of a dog being rescued from a mountain:
A petition on Change.org has since been signed by more than half a million people, which asks for tougher legislation to prevent loud fireworks from frightening other dogs in future.