Dog owner issues stark warning after her pooch was poisoned by diffuser

Dog owner issues stark warning after her pooch was poisoned by diffuser

A dog owner has taken to social media to issue a stark warning after her dog was poisoned by her oil diffuser.

Marianne Whyte, from Christchurch, New Zealand, took to Facebook to share the alarming experience and urge other pet owners to be mindful of how essential oils could affect their pets' health.

"Saturday night I got home late and my dog didn't recognize me," Marianne wrote. "Being a nanny I thought I woke him up and he was having a night terror. Sunday, he was still acting weird. I realized that I had been running my new diffuser and decided to turn it off."

"Sunday afternoon, he was feeling better," she added. "Today at work, my dog sitter said that he wouldn't come out from under the bed. It was very odd as he is a happy dog. I came from work early and again, he was very confused about who I was."

Check out this heartwarming footage of a dog being reunited with her owner. She was found alive and well 1,000 miles away from her owner after going missing back in 2007:

It was then that the concerned owner took her pooch to the emergency vet and learned that the tea tree oil she was using in the diffuser is toxic for dogs.

"Thankfully the test showed that his liver was ok but we weren't out of the woods yet," she continued. "He was given fluids under his skin to get the toxins out. The vet and the poison control are saying that they see these cases often now that the popularity of essential oil is growing."

Marianne then issues the following warning to her fellow pet owners: "Please make sure that the essential oils you are burning are not toxic for your pets."

If your pet is experiencing similar symptoms to those mentioned above, it is advisable to take them to the vet immediately.