7 of the most awkward Met Gala moments of all time
As awards season draws to a close, fashionistas and ordinary folk alike are counting down the days to the most avant-garde of ceremonies, where celebrities are encouraged, nay pushed, to let their freak flag fly. I am, of course, speaking about the Met Gala.
Often referred to as the Super Bowl or the Oscars of fashion, the annual funding party for New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art functions as one of the entertainment industry's most newsworthy exhibits. But while we would expect nothing less than glitz and glamour from the Met Gala, it always has its fair share of awkward moments. From celebrities who have taken the theme too far to Jay-Z and Solange's infamous elevator fight, it's evident that drama just comes with the territory.
So, ahead of this year's ceremony on the 7th of May, here are seven of the most cringe-worthy moments from events past...
1. In 2015, Rihanna's sartorial choices launched a thousand memes
Veritable queen of the Met Gala, Rihanna, never fails to impress. The internet found itself particularly transfixed by this Guo Pei number, which was promptly edited to resemble everything from a pizza to an omelette.
1. When Jay-Z and Solange Knowles lost their cool in a lift back in 2014
The infamous bust-up - which Jay-Z and Beyoncé's dad have since confirmed was to do with rumours that the rapper had cheated on the singer - took place at the Met Gala afterparty in 2014.
3. That time when Kylie Jenner was seriously bored by Ryan Reynolds in 2017
While the rest of us would love to be privy to Lively and Reynolds's jibes, it appears that Kylie had more important things to worry about.
4. Hayden Panettiere falling down the stairs on the red carpet in 2014
C'mon, we've all been there.
5. When Rihanna served some serious side-eye to those who didn't take the theme seriously last year
In 2017, the theme was rather esoteric: "Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between". While Rihanna did her research and arrived wearing a flawless ensemble, many other celebrities opted for more basic outfits - and the singer certainly didn't hold back from making her feelings known...
6. In 2014, Reese Witherspoon couldn't pronounce Cara Delevingne's last name
You and me both, Reese.
7. And of course, the time when Jaden Smith brought his old hair as his date.
Well, there you have it - Hollywood doesn't seem so pristine after all, does it?