Demi Lovato's mom breaks silence on her daughter's apparent overdose

Demi Lovato's mom breaks silence on her daughter's apparent overdose

Last July, Demi Lovato suffered an apparent overdose, falling off the wagon after six years of sobriety. Paramedics picked up the unconscious singer at her home in the Hollywood Hills and rushed her to the hospital. After recovering, she checked into rehab a facility to get sober, where she remains to this day. Fans and friends have sent messages of love and support on social media, hoping she gets well soon.

"I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction," Demi wrote in a statement on Instagram. "What I've learned is that this illness is not something that disappears or fades with time. It is something I must continue to overcome and have not done yet. ... I need time to heal and focus on my sobriety and road to recovery."

In an appearance on Newsmax TV, Demi's mom, Dianna de la Garza, broke her silence on her daughter's apparent overdose. "It's still a really difficult thing to talk about," she said, as recalled the tragic event. "I literally start to shake a little bit when I start to remember what happened that day."

Dianna said it just was a normal day, then all of a sudden she started getting bombarded by text messages. Friends and family members expressing their concern for Demi's health, and hoping that she was okay. It wasn't until Demi's assistant contacted her that she discovered the truth. "I was in shock. I didn't know what to say," said Dianna. "It was just something that I never, ever expected to hear, as a parent, about any of my kids."

Demi's assistant said that the singer was conscious, but not able to speak. Realizing they "were in trouble," Dianna rushed to the hospital with Demi's sisters, Dallas and Madison. Due to shock, the matriarch wasn't able to drive, so Dallas the wheel. When the ladies arrived, they jumped out of the car and ran to the emergency room to be at Demi's side. "She just didn't look good—at all," said  Dianna. "She was in bad shape. But I said to her, 'Demi, I'm here. I love you.' And at that point she said back to me, 'I love you, too.'"

For a couple days, Demi was in critical condition, and her family didn't know if she was going to make it. During this dark time, Deanna relied on her faith to stay positive. Thankfully, Demi's condition improved, and she was able to embark down the road to recovery. Now she is reportedly happy, healthy and getting the help she needs.

"I just feel like the reason she's alive today is because of the millions of prayers that went up that day when everybody found out what was happening," said Deanna. "I don't think she would be here if it hadn't been for those prayers and the good doctors and Cedars-Sinai."