Conor McGregor receives UFC ban, brags about his technique in post-fight brawl
In October last year, the UFC 229 event, which saw Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov facing off, quickly turned to chaos. After the Russian fighter attained his victory, you would have thought the violence would be over - but rising tensions from behind the scenes led to an all-out brawl between Khabib's team and members of McGregor's entourage.
Khaib himself jumped into the crowd, trying to attack one of his opponent's teammates, while three of his own team stormed the octagon to go after a battle-weary McGregor. Khabib later claimed this originated from insulting comments made about his family, country and religion, apologising to the UFC but insisting he had good reason for his actions.
“First of all I want to say sorry to Nevada Athletic Commission and second to Vegas," Nurmagomedov said.
"I know this is not my best side. I’m a human being. But I don’t understand how people can talk about how I jump on the cage. He talked about my religion, he talked about my country, he talked about my father.
“He came to Brooklyn and he broke a bus, he almost killed a couple of people. What about this sh*t? Why do people talk about me jumping over the cage? I don’t understand. This is a respectful sport, not a trash-talking sport.”
Following the spectacle, both sportsmen faced punishment for their actions. Nurmagomedov was banned for nine months and was fined $500,000.
Meanwhile, McGregor has been given six months suspension from the UFC, and was met with a $50,000 fine. Now that the assessment has come through, the Irishman took to Twitter to thank the Nevada Athletic Commissions for their "fair assessment," but seeing as this is McGregor we're talking about, it didn't end there.
"I am thankful for the Nevada Athletic Commission's fair assessment and handling of the brawl incident," he initially said. "It was not my intention to land the final blow of the night on my opponent's blood relative. I look forward to competing again soon."
In a follow-up message about the infamous incident, McGregor shared two photos of him from the night. In one he is evading a hit from a member of Khabib's team, and in the other he is landing one of his own.
"Straight left hand inside the attackers jab. He attempted to use the big security guard that's in all the movies as cover, but I could smell him a mile away and landed flush down the pipe.
"The final blow of the night at UFC 229 in association with McGregor Sports and Entertainment."
Both suspensions have been backdated to the date of the Las Vegas fight, which occurred on October 6 last year. Nurmagomedov's suspension may be reduced from nine to six months if he agrees to participate in an anti-bullying campaign in Nevada, reportedly.
Two of Khabib's team have also been given suspensions by the same commission, with Zubaira Tukhugov and Abubakar Nurmagomedov being banned for one year, with fines of $25,000.