Shocking footage appears to show Conor McGregor trashing bus before later turning himself in

Shocking footage appears to show Conor McGregor trashing bus before later turning himself in

Conor McGregor has landed himself in some serious trouble after shocking footage emerged of him appearing to destroy a bus carrying rival UFC contestants. The Crumlin-born fighter, who hasn't set foot in the ring or octagon since his fight with Floyd Mayweather in August last year, can be seen launching a trolley at a bus.

It's a story that's more in keeping with the drama of WWE rather than UFC and, according to the UFC President Dana White, the signs are not good for McGregor.

"What happened today was criminal, disgusting and makes me sick," he said.

"There is a warrant out for McGregor's arrest. They're looking for him right now and his plane is grounded. I assume if they don't catch him he will turn himself in. He's going to be sued beyond belief and this is a very bad career move for him."

While the motives behind the attack have not been confirmed, it's largely believed that McGregor was acting in retaliation for an incident that occurred in a hotel on Tuesday.

According to various reports and UFC fan theories, McGregor was attempting to confront his long-term rival Khabib Nurmagomedove, who was involved in an altercation with McGregor's training partner, Artem Lobov, earlier this week, which you can see below.

The saga has become nothing short of a nightmare for the UFC. As we all know, McGregor is the biggest star in the sport, with him being the first man in history to simultaneously hold two titles in different weight classes. On top of this, the Irishman is responsible for four of the six highest-grossing pay-per-views in the company's history. Essentially, McGregor is a huge marketing tool for the UFC, making the decision of what to do with him and incredibly complex and difficult one. Not only this, but the majority of McGregor's fanbase, are on the side of their idol.

It was rumoured that McGregor would be returning to the sport this year, but this now looks highly unlikely due to the incident. And, not only will this have ramifications on McGregor's career in the championship, but it's also had an impact on the fights set to take place this weekend. Three fights have now been scrapped from UFC 223, with Artem Lobov - McGregor's training partner and close friend - being the first to face the chop.

Next, it was the turn of Michael Chiesa, who had his fight cancelled after suffering injuries in the altercation. Chiesa was standing next to the window that McGregor threw the trolley through, resulting in cuts to both his face and upper body. Take a look at the incident below.

Another fighter, Ray Borg, was also injured in the wake of the attack. It was announced that his fight with Brandon Moreno was also off, with Borg having sustained injuries to his eye from flying glass fragments.

Having initially attempting to make a run for it, McGregor has now handed himself over to the police. The New York Police Department announced that he had surrendered and said that no charges have been filed against McGregor just yet, although the investigation is still ongoing.

But while McGregor is yet to learn what his punishment from the police will be, White has warned that several lawsuits will be coming his way. “I know a handful of people here already that are filing lawsuits against him,” he added. “God knows how many he's going to have by the time this is done.”

Despite all the commotion, UFC 223 is set to go ahead this weekend, with lightweight contender Nurmagomedov due to face Max Holloway in a showdown for one of McGregor's belts. However, with three fights called off and the potential to lose their biggest cash cow, these are worrying times for the company.