Man dies after eating 42 eggs over a $27 bet
A man in India has died of overeating after attempting to eat 50 eggs as part of an eating competition, local police have confirmed.
Per the Daily Mail, 42-year-old Subhash Yadav was visiting the Bibiganj market in Uttar Pradesh's Jaunpur district with a friend when an argument broke out between the pair. Police say the two friends attempted to settle their differences by taking part in a 50-egg challenge.
The winner would have received Rs 2000 (£21/$27).
Mr Yadav willingly accepted the bet and managed to eat an astonishing 41 eggs. However, upon eating egg number 42, Yadav suddenly collapsed and fell unconscious, according to Gulf News.
The local people rushed him to the hospital before he was transferred to Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences. He sadly died just hours later.
Doctors have ruled that Mr Yadav had died from complications due to over-eating the dozens of eggs.
His family has yet to comment on the tragic incident, police added.
The idea of a 50 egg challenge first became popular thanks to the 1967 movie, Cool Hand Luke, in which Luke - played by Paul Newman - claims he can eat 50 eggs.
Check out the scene below:
In the jailhouse movie, the antihero brags to his fellow inmates that he can eat 50 hard-boiled eggs in one hour. However, his boast is met with one of the most famous lines in the movie: "Nobody can eat 50 eggs." As a result, his inmates bet him all their money that he can't do it. But, Cool Hand Luke manages to pull it off, finishing all 50 eggs just under the one-hour deadline - however, it's not a pleasant scene to watch!
According to Science.HowStuffWorks.com, if a person were to eat 50 eggs (roughly 3850 calories), their digestive system would be overworked:
"First, you'll need to produce a lot of saliva to eat that many eggs, or you'll need a lot of water on hand. Then, once your stomach is stretched to its limits, your gastric glands will start secreting acids to break down the eggs.
"The acids move into the intestines slowly, so count on the eggs remaining in your stomach for a good three and a half hours. The ingested food will then hang out in your large intestine for about 36 hours. That means 36 hours of probable gastric distress, resulting in possibly the worst hydrogen sulfide gas you've ever experienced."