Boy, 11, dies from flesh-eating infection after twisting ankle on treadmill

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

An 11-year-old boy has tragically died following a flesh-eating infection he acquired after twisting his ankle while using a treadmill, and it killed him in a matter of days.

Jesse Brown of Winter Park, Florida, was injured using the treadmill and then a few days later his mother noticed "his whole leg was covered in like splotchy, purply, red, almost like bruises."

His cousin Megan Brown told Orlando's Fox 35 that Jesse was quickly taken to the ICU where he was diagnosed with a Group A Strep infection.

Despite the best efforts of medical professionals, the infection became flesh-eating necrotizing fasciitis which caused the 11-year-old's brain to swell.

Sadly, Jesse passed away due to the infection which doctors were adamant was caused by the accident on the treadmill.

"They said that because he rolled his ankle, that that's likely where the infection attacked it. Because it was already weak," Megan told the outlet.

She also outlined how quickly the infection took hold of Jesse, leaving the family and medical staff little time to combat it: "For this to kill him in just a matter of days was crazy. If there was more awareness, maybe we could have caught it earlier when we noticed he had a fever."

Megan set up a GoFundMe page in order to help the family cover medical bills as well as any funeral costs. The page further outlined the heartbreaking situation.

size-full wp-image-1263195646
Credit: GoFundMe

"Jesse was a miracle child. His parents were told they would never have children. They had given up hope, and after 10 years of trying, they were blessed with Jesse Ryder Brown. That miracle was taken from us far too soon," the fundraising page states.

"Only 11 years old, Jesse was a completely happy and healthy boy, destined for great things... He was hilarious, his laugh was contagious, and he just lit up the room."

The page has raised $31,000 out of the $100,000 target at the time of writing, coming from 298 donations with many offering words of condolence to the family.

Lakemont Elementary School, which Jesse attended, also set up a memorial fund for the 11-year-old. "Jesse worked hard and had a huge heart. He was one of our patrols that worked to keep the school safe, but also worked to make sure everyone started their day with a smile. Everyone that knew Jesse has nothing but love for him," the school said.

According to the CDC, the form of Strep A that took Jesse's life is often obtained through cuts and scrapes, burns, insect bites, puncture wounds (including those due to intravenous [IV] drug use), and surgical wounds.

It's rarely contagious and is noticed through a fever, a red warm swollen area, and severe pain beyond the swollen skin. Prompt treatment is vital, or it could be fatal.

Our thoughts are with Jesse's loved ones at this time.

Featured image credit: JUN LI / Alamy

Boy, 11, dies from flesh-eating infection after twisting ankle on treadmill

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

An 11-year-old boy has tragically died following a flesh-eating infection he acquired after twisting his ankle while using a treadmill, and it killed him in a matter of days.

Jesse Brown of Winter Park, Florida, was injured using the treadmill and then a few days later his mother noticed "his whole leg was covered in like splotchy, purply, red, almost like bruises."

His cousin Megan Brown told Orlando's Fox 35 that Jesse was quickly taken to the ICU where he was diagnosed with a Group A Strep infection.

Despite the best efforts of medical professionals, the infection became flesh-eating necrotizing fasciitis which caused the 11-year-old's brain to swell.

Sadly, Jesse passed away due to the infection which doctors were adamant was caused by the accident on the treadmill.

"They said that because he rolled his ankle, that that's likely where the infection attacked it. Because it was already weak," Megan told the outlet.

She also outlined how quickly the infection took hold of Jesse, leaving the family and medical staff little time to combat it: "For this to kill him in just a matter of days was crazy. If there was more awareness, maybe we could have caught it earlier when we noticed he had a fever."

Megan set up a GoFundMe page in order to help the family cover medical bills as well as any funeral costs. The page further outlined the heartbreaking situation.

size-full wp-image-1263195646
Credit: GoFundMe

"Jesse was a miracle child. His parents were told they would never have children. They had given up hope, and after 10 years of trying, they were blessed with Jesse Ryder Brown. That miracle was taken from us far too soon," the fundraising page states.

"Only 11 years old, Jesse was a completely happy and healthy boy, destined for great things... He was hilarious, his laugh was contagious, and he just lit up the room."

The page has raised $31,000 out of the $100,000 target at the time of writing, coming from 298 donations with many offering words of condolence to the family.

Lakemont Elementary School, which Jesse attended, also set up a memorial fund for the 11-year-old. "Jesse worked hard and had a huge heart. He was one of our patrols that worked to keep the school safe, but also worked to make sure everyone started their day with a smile. Everyone that knew Jesse has nothing but love for him," the school said.

According to the CDC, the form of Strep A that took Jesse's life is often obtained through cuts and scrapes, burns, insect bites, puncture wounds (including those due to intravenous [IV] drug use), and surgical wounds.

It's rarely contagious and is noticed through a fever, a red warm swollen area, and severe pain beyond the swollen skin. Prompt treatment is vital, or it could be fatal.

Our thoughts are with Jesse's loved ones at this time.

Featured image credit: JUN LI / Alamy