Boy thrown from Mall of America balcony leaves hospital after five months

Boy thrown from Mall of America balcony leaves hospital after five months

A boy left in a critical condition after being thrown from a Mall of America balcony has finally left hospital after five months.

Identified only as Landen, the five-year-old, who almost lost his life in April, has recovered from the extensive injuries he received after he was pushed by a stranger. The good news was shared by a family friend, Noah Hanneman, on his GoFundMe page, which has raised more than $1 million and counting to cover his medical expenses.

The video below details Landen's miraculous recovery: 

"We are pleased to share that our son completed his inpatient rehabilitation and is now home. We are so thankful, and we rejoice in the Lord's blessings to our family," the family said in a statement.

"We continue to ask that His healing powers guide us and our son's care team as we enter the next phase of recovery, which includes continued outpatient rehabilitation for multiple injuries and adjusting to life back at home and school."

Mall of America. Credit: Getty

In August, the five-year-old was moved from intensive care to a general ward, showing how much progress he had made. Landen fell almost 40 feet in the mall, sustaining extensive injuries.

On June 25, Hanneman said: "The injuries and severe complications have now resulted in more than 15 separate medical procedures or surgeries, including surgeries for two broken arms and a broken leg, removal of his spleen, procedures for fluid in his lungs and stomach, as well as for facial and skull fractures.

"Just this past weekend, he had a stent placed in a vein that runs through his liver because of the serious complications he continues to endure."

Emmanuel Aranda being sentenced. Credit: Getty

ABC affiliate KSTP reports that the man responsible, Emmanuel Aranda, pictured above at his sentencing, was "looking for someone to kill, but it did not 'work out'".

He pleaded guilty to premeditated first-degree murder in May, accepting a plea deal for 19 years behind bars.

Hanneman's last update on GoFundMe expressed continued thanks for all of the support Landan has received.

"Thank you to all of you who prayed for us and loved us during the past 4 1/2 months. You helped to give us hope and show us the Glory of God's great love here on earth even during the darkest of days," he said.