ADVERT
Entertainment News2 min(s) read
Jenna Ortega has once again been forced to shut down the long-running rumors that she was romantically involved with Johnny Depp, revealing just how far the speculation spread.
During an interview with Complex alongside her Hurry Up Tomorrow co-star The Weeknd, the Wednesday star brought up the bizarre claim that she had been in a relationship with Depp despite insisting she had never even met the actor.
“Well I've already said the Johnny Depp thing, where we were in a relationship allegedly. Never met him,” Ortega said.
The Weeknd appeared surprised by the story, responding: “I never saw that.”
Ortega then explained that the rumour became so widespread that people she actually worked with began asking her about it.
“So much so, people were asking me on set. ‘Oh how's it going with you and [Johnny Depp]?’ What the fuck are you talking about?” she claimed.
The dating speculation first circulated online in 2023, with gossip accounts claiming Ortega and Depp had been romantically linked. Both stars subsequently denied the claims.
Ortega previously addressed the bizarre story during a 2024 BuzzFeed interview, describing it as “so insane to me” and saying she had never made comments attributed to her about the supposed relationship with the actor, maintaining they'd never met.
She also revealed that the rumor had reached her Death of a Unicorn co-star Richard E. Grant, who asked her directly: “Oh, so you and Johnny?”
Ortega said she simply laughed because, as she put it, “I don't know that person.”
The actress and Depp have yet to work on a film together, but with the pair both currently active in the industry, they could certainly cross paths soon.
According to one of Depp's representatives, via HuffPost, the actor also felt obliged to dismiss the rumor as false, writing in a statement that said he "has no personal or professional relationship with Ms. Ortega whatsoever."
"He has never met her or spoken to her. He is not involved in any project with her, nor does he intend to be," the statement read, as reported by those outlets. "He is appalled by these baseless and malicious rumors that are intended to harm his reputation and career.”