Missing Jay Slater's mom was sent a vile message moments after landing in Tenerife to look for her son

vt-author-image

By stefan armitage

Article saved!Article saved!

As the search for missing teenager Jay Slater continues, his mom has spoken out about the anguish she and her family are facing.

As previously reported, 19-year-old Jay had been on vacation with friends visiting the Canary Island of Tenerife as part of the NRG music festival.

However, on Sunday evening, friend Lucy Mae Law - who was staying with Jay in a shared apartment - says that Jay opted to stay out with people they had met on a night out rather than head back to their accommodation.

On Monday morning, at approximately 8:15AM, Jay called Lucy Mae - who was back at their apartment - and reportedly informed her that he was lost and making a 10-11 hour walk back to their accommodation.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.11.37.jpg19-Year-old Jay Slater went missing after a night out on the island. Credit: Handout

Lucy Mae adds that Jay's phone battery was on 1% and that he said he was thirsty.

Jay was reported missing to the authorities just after 9:00AM on Monday morning.

Less than 24 hours later, the teenager's worried mom, Debbie Duncan, had landed in Tenerife following advice from UK police.

Per the Daily Mail, Debbie has described the ordeal as a "living nightmare", adding: "I've got a bad feeling. I'm being warned there's a lot of bad people in Tenerife. I just think he's being held against his will. He's not a stupid lad. He wouldn't have gone walking down bloody mountains."


The concerned mom described her son as "streetwise" and "not stupid", Debbie is not fearing the worst.

"There's no ransom demand come in yet. I've told them [police] my suspicions, that I think Jay's been taken up north by people against his will," she added.

The mom has also shared the horrendous response trolls have had on social media, revealing that she received a vile message moments after touching down in Tenerife on Tuesday morning.

It read: "Kiss goodbye to your boy, you're never going to see him again, he owes me a lot of money."

Debbie also revealed that she has been receiving calls, adding: "'Some of the phone calls I've been getting have been horrible. I just don't know why people would want to do things like this.

"I've been getting lots of prank calls. It's sickening. People ringing me and saying they've got Jay because he owes them money."

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.53.21.jpgCredit: Facebook

On Wednesday, search efforts for Jay were temporarily moved to the south side of the island following reports that somebody who resembled the teen had been seen getting into a taxi.

Several hours later, authorities one again shifted their search efforts back to the mountain area around Rural de Teno Park, which is where Jay was last known to have been.

Per the Mirror, Lucy Mae claims that the change was made after what she believes was a "false lead" was given to local authorities.

She said: “Someone has given a false lead to the police saying he’s rang a taxi down to Los Cristianos. If this was the case he would have rang his mum or one of us. I know him well and he would NOT have us worrying."

“Someone is trying to deter the police from him being up there," Lucy Mae added. "I’m starting to think he’s been kidnapped.”

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 20.34.24.jpgJay Slater wearing the shirt he believed to have disappeared in. Credit: Instagram

When once again asked if she genuinely believed her claim was the reason for the change in search location, Lucy Mae doubled-down: "Yes, This is really serious."

Featured image credit: Facebook

Missing Jay Slater's mom was sent a vile message moments after landing in Tenerife to look for her son

vt-author-image

By stefan armitage

Article saved!Article saved!

As the search for missing teenager Jay Slater continues, his mom has spoken out about the anguish she and her family are facing.

As previously reported, 19-year-old Jay had been on vacation with friends visiting the Canary Island of Tenerife as part of the NRG music festival.

However, on Sunday evening, friend Lucy Mae Law - who was staying with Jay in a shared apartment - says that Jay opted to stay out with people they had met on a night out rather than head back to their accommodation.

On Monday morning, at approximately 8:15AM, Jay called Lucy Mae - who was back at their apartment - and reportedly informed her that he was lost and making a 10-11 hour walk back to their accommodation.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.11.37.jpg19-Year-old Jay Slater went missing after a night out on the island. Credit: Handout

Lucy Mae adds that Jay's phone battery was on 1% and that he said he was thirsty.

Jay was reported missing to the authorities just after 9:00AM on Monday morning.

Less than 24 hours later, the teenager's worried mom, Debbie Duncan, had landed in Tenerife following advice from UK police.

Per the Daily Mail, Debbie has described the ordeal as a "living nightmare", adding: "I've got a bad feeling. I'm being warned there's a lot of bad people in Tenerife. I just think he's being held against his will. He's not a stupid lad. He wouldn't have gone walking down bloody mountains."


The concerned mom described her son as "streetwise" and "not stupid", Debbie is not fearing the worst.

"There's no ransom demand come in yet. I've told them [police] my suspicions, that I think Jay's been taken up north by people against his will," she added.

The mom has also shared the horrendous response trolls have had on social media, revealing that she received a vile message moments after touching down in Tenerife on Tuesday morning.

It read: "Kiss goodbye to your boy, you're never going to see him again, he owes me a lot of money."

Debbie also revealed that she has been receiving calls, adding: "'Some of the phone calls I've been getting have been horrible. I just don't know why people would want to do things like this.

"I've been getting lots of prank calls. It's sickening. People ringing me and saying they've got Jay because he owes them money."

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.53.21.jpgCredit: Facebook

On Wednesday, search efforts for Jay were temporarily moved to the south side of the island following reports that somebody who resembled the teen had been seen getting into a taxi.

Several hours later, authorities one again shifted their search efforts back to the mountain area around Rural de Teno Park, which is where Jay was last known to have been.

Per the Mirror, Lucy Mae claims that the change was made after what she believes was a "false lead" was given to local authorities.

She said: “Someone has given a false lead to the police saying he’s rang a taxi down to Los Cristianos. If this was the case he would have rang his mum or one of us. I know him well and he would NOT have us worrying."

“Someone is trying to deter the police from him being up there," Lucy Mae added. "I’m starting to think he’s been kidnapped.”

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 20.34.24.jpgJay Slater wearing the shirt he believed to have disappeared in. Credit: Instagram

When once again asked if she genuinely believed her claim was the reason for the change in search location, Lucy Mae doubled-down: "Yes, This is really serious."

Featured image credit: Facebook