Man took cannabis to the police to complain about the quality

Man took cannabis to the police to complain about the quality

A man in Ireland reportedly took a bag of marijuana to a police station in order to complain about its quality.

Arthur Liwembe, who is 33 years old, pleaded guilty to unlawful possession of cannabis and other charges following the bizarre occurrence, which took place in July last year.

According to court documents, Liwembe had deliberately taken a small bag of the illegal substance - valued at €10 ($11.30) - to his nearest police station. Once there, he proceeded to complain that he had been ripped off, and that he was unhappy with his purchase.

Needless to say, it did not go well for him.

man holding cigarette Credit: Pexels

"He said he had bought the drugs and believed them not to be of good quality and that was why he attended the garda [police] station," Gda Ian Foley told the court.

After making it very obvious that he had been engaging in illegal activity, Liwembe was searched. He did not have any more marijuana on him, but was discovered to be in possession of a box-cutter knife. This, he claimed, he needed for his job as a handyman, but it was confiscated nonetheless.

Liwembe was released from the station following his complaint - but was later arrested when he returned to demand that he was given his knife back. He apparently became aggressive when the police refused, with reports speculating he may have been experiencing drug-induced psychosis.

Foley told Judge John Hughes, who is presiding over the case, that he believed Liwembe was suffering from mental health problems at the time of the incident.

judge holding a gavel Credit: Getty

In a separate case, the accused admitted to repeatedly trespassing at a property where he used to live and work. On several occasions, he entered the address without permission, and even damaged a door during one such break-in.

One of these times, he was discovered by police in a bedroom. He reportedly told them that he was "just trying to sleep" and, according to police reports, was under the "misapprehension that he still lived there".

Liwembe's lawyer said that his use of cannabis could have led to "transient psychotic symptoms," and therefore caused him to act irrationally on a number of occasions.

The case was adjourned for a probation report, and Liwembe has been remanded on bail.