ADVERT
Celebrity5 min(s) read
Perez Hilton's family has issued an update following his self-harm livestream, warning that he faces "lifelong disfigurement" and a recovery that could take months.
The 48-year-old celebrity blogger was taken to the hospital earlier this month after police responded to a TikTok livestream during which he appeared to engage in self-harm.
A police report obtained by PEOPLE stated that first responders treated Hilton, whose real name is Mario Lavandeira Jr., for multiple injuries and an overdose before transporting him to the hospital. It remains unclear what drugs were involved.
Now, as Hilton continues receiving care, friends and family have offered insight into his condition and state of mind.
"Perez knows that something happened and he knows that things aren’t good right now," a friend said, per The Tab. "But he doesn’t have a lot of presence of mind. He’s not able to fully process what happened."
According to a new report from the Daily Mail, Hilton has been asking about friends and whether they have shown their support during his hospitalization.
His family has reportedly been reassuring him by saying: "Your friends are all in your corner."
However, the report claims that no one other than family has visited him in the hospital.
"All the ones he wanted to reach out, all the celebrities who he has mended fences with, all the ones who said he’s their friend. None of them are doing anything," a family friend said. "He’s about to find out who his real friends are."
Those close to Hilton are now reportedly struggling with how to tell him about the apparent lack of contact.
"We don’t even know how to break this news to him, he’ll be crushed," the family friend said. "It’s sad really, how little people are rallying behind him. People who have told him they love him, but where are they?"
The publication cited celebrities who have previously shown Hilton support, including Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Adele, as well as stars he had reconciled with following previous disputes, including Britney Spears and Khloe Kardashian.
According to the report, Hilton has received no cards, flowers, or visitors while hospitalized.
The latest update comes after additional details about the incident that led to Hilton's hospitalization emerged in a police report.
According to the Miami-Dade County Sheriff's Office incident report, Hilton's sister Barbara told officers that her brother had been "unusually quiet" on August 4 and had locked his bedroom door, something she said was out of character.
When she knocked and asked whether he was OK, Hilton told her he was fine.
Barbara later told police that after Hilton eventually unlocked the door, she found him naked and "covered in blood" in his bathroom.
She then took his three children, who are between the ages of 8 and 13, to her car in an attempt to get them away from the situation.
Hilton then came outside while still injured and began banging on the driver's side window, per the report. Barbara drove away after seeing the police arrive.
Officers and family members then entered the home and brought Hilton into the living room, where fire rescue personnel treated him for his injuries and an overdose before he was transported to the hospital.
Neither Hilton's family nor his representatives have publicly addressed the overdose detail contained in the police report.
Over the weekend, the blogger's family confirmed that he remains hospitalized and is now receiving around-the-clock care in an inpatient setting.
"To everyone who has reached out, checked in, and kept Perez and our family in your thoughts, THANK YOU!" they said. "At this time, Perez remains hospitalised and is receiving the medical care he needs. His treatment is continuing in an inpatient setting under the care of a dedicated team of medical and mental health professionals."
"For now, Perez’s health remains the priority as his team keeps the site active and moving forward," they added.
His family had previously said Hilton "experienced significant blood loss and sustained additional injuries that will require surgery in the coming days".
His management team at Golden Artists Entertainment also issued a statement asking for privacy.
"Our focus remains on Perez's health, recovery, and the privacy of both him and his family during this incredibly difficult time," they said. "We respectfully ask that everyone continue to honor his privacy while he receives the care he needs."
Although Hilton remains in the hospital and does not currently have access to his social media or business accounts, his website began publishing celebrity news again earlier this week.
His loved ones reportedly made the decision in part because the website remains one of Hilton's online sources of income.
"It won’t be mean, it won’t be calling people out, but there is celebrity news happening and people are used to going to his site to read about it," they said.
If you or someone you know is struggling, the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is available 24/7 by calling or texting 988. In the UK, contact the Samaritans on 116 123.