Sir Rod Stewart has beaten prostate cancer after a three-year battle

Sir Rod Stewart has beaten prostate cancer after a three-year battle

Rod Stewart has opened up about beating prostate cancer after a secret three-year battle, The Mirror reports. The First Cut Is The Deepest singer, who managed to catch his cancer in its early stages, is now using his platform to urge men to have their prostates checked.

Stewart made the shocking revelation at a fundraising event on Saturday, which he attended alongside his former Faces bandmates Kenney Jones and Ronnie Wood. It was there that the music legend explained that he was diagnosed with the illness in February of 2016 during a routine checkup, and had kept it a secret from the public for over three years.

The event was for the Prostate Project and European Tour Foundation and took place in Surrey. "Two years ago I was ­diagnosed with prostate cancer," Stewart told the crowd, per The Mirror.

The 74-year-old went on to explain that he has been in remission since July. He apparently joked to his wife Penny Lancaster that he would use the event to "come out", to which she said: "Tonight would be a nice night to come out of the closet."

"It's not what you think," Stewart added in jest.

He then said: "No one knows this, but I thought this was about time I told everybody. I'm in the clear, now, simply because I caught it early. I have so many tests."

rod stewart Credit: Getty

"Guys, you've got to really go to the doctor," he continued. "Finger up the bum, no harm done."

"If you're positive, and you work through it and you keep a smile on your face... I've worked for two years and I've just been happy, and the good Lord looked after me."

Ronnie Wood, who had previously battled with lung cancer, added: "Somebody up there likes us, Rod."