10 Incredibly awkward behind-the-scenes stories about sex scenes that'll change how you watch them forever
When filming sex scenes, it is pretty much inevitable that there will be at least some awkward moments between the actors - no matter how comfortable they are in their own skin.
Most of these slip-ups will end up on the cutting room floor - luckily, though, the following actors have no qualms about sharing their most awkward sex scene stories.
1. Jamie Dornan would try to make Dakota Johnson laugh by making strange noises while filming intense sex scenes
"When there's a wider shot and we're going for it all in one piece, they'll play music over it, and it's always my temptation to make Dakota laugh," Dornan said. "So sometimes, I'll do things like — in a moment when I'm meant to orgasm — I'll instead go, 'Doo-doo-doodley-do!'"
2. Apparently, there was too much of Robert Pattinson's buttcrack in the sex scene in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1, so it had to be cut before release
"There was too much buttcrack," Pattinson said. "That was one thing I was told they had to cut out, but they didn't cut the shot — they just cut my crack out. Like, they painted over it, because you can show cheek, but you cannot show crack."
3. Julia Roberts felt so nervous about the sex scenes in Pretty Woman that she broke out in hives
"I had never done this kind of stuff before, and I was really nervous," Roberts said. "I'd get hives. They'd say, ‘kiss,’ and I'd get a hive...but the funny thing is that we’d become such a family. This particular crew, we became so close to one another that by the time a scene like this came up — everyone knowing the way that I felt and my kind of value ideas about it — everybody was more nervous than I was."
4. After a filming a sex scene on top of fake money for The Wolf of Wall Street Margot Robbie got papercuts on her back
"I got a million paper cuts on my back from all that money. It’s not as glamorous as it sounds," Robbie said. "If anyone is ever planning on having sex on top of a pile of cash: don’t. Or maybe real money is a bit softer...when I got up off the bed, I turned around to get my robe and everyone gasped. They said, 'You look like you’ve been whipped a million times."
5. For his role in Knock, Knock, Keanu Reeves had to film a three-way scene with the director's wife
"I mean, those scenes are always weird," Reeves said. "But Eli [Roth, the director] created a great situation of trust in rehearsal...but eventually you've got to strip naked and simulate, and I wasn't going to be that guy who was like, 'Hey Eli, your wife's hot!' Yeah no, he was really cool about it and we all...had fun."
6. In order to make sure their sex scene in Dirty Grandpa wasn't in any awkward, Aubrey Plaza she placed an "incredibly slutty picture" of herself into a book which she gave to Robert DeNiro
"I didn't know him, we had never talked and I was really scared of working with him. So I was like, 'I'm going to do something kind of crazy,'" Plaza said. "I took an incredibly slutty picture of myself in character, put it in a book about Zen Buddhism, and slipped it under his trailer door. I didn't hear anything about it for a week, so I was terrified that I was going to get fired. Then, he casually came over to me a week later and was like, 'I got your book...' — and I had put the photo on page 4, so then he said — 'I only got to page 4, but it was VERY good.'"
7. Initially, Mark Wahlberg's prosthetic penis for Boogie Nights was far too big, so they made a much smaller one
"The first time they made it, they used the exact same specs as John Holmes...a very famous porn star from the '70s," Wahlberg said. "So this thing was down past my knees. Everybody thought it was ridiculous, and I had to come out on the set to show it to everybody. It was very embarrassing, BUT the shorter one they remade is still the only prop I've ever kept from a movie."
8. Keira Knightley kept getting replacements for the green dress in Atonement because it kept tearing during the sex scene in the library
"I probably broke them ALL," Knightley said. "You can't have a sex scene in a dress like that! It was all laser-cut in the front, so literally if you touched it [it ripped]. They had so many [backups], and the tops had to keep being resewn and redone."
9. Ben Affleck attempted to direct a sex montage while acting in it for Live By Night, but never yelled out "cut" which made for an unrealistically lengthy session
"You do scenes and, sometimes, I like to go over and over again without cutting, because I don't like to interrupt the flow," Affleck said. "But we had these montages of sex scenes and — in my mind — I was thinking, Well, we're just going again, like without yelling 'cut'; we'll just keep going. And finally, Sienna just started laughing and said, 'Who do you think you are? How many times can one man climax?!'"
10. Emma Stone unintentionally freaked Olivia Colman during a sexy scene in The Favourite
"So...Emma had to finger me. She was a little bit worried, since it was under the sheets," Colman said. "So I went to makeup and I got a sponge...a big, wet sponge. I put it there as a barrier and told her not to worry about it. So when we were shooting, she was going up my leg and then went 'OH?! [in disgust]' and I was like "Oh no, it's a sponge!"