Mom issues urgent warning to parents after daughter's car seat catches on fire

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

A mom has issued a warning to other parents as she showed a video where he daughter's car seat caught on fire due to the sun.

Being a parent often means spending your time worrying about the well-being of your child - after all, they depend on you for basically everything for most of their youth.

Getting a car seat for an infant is parenting 101, as simply strapping them into the seat of a car would be incredibly dangerous.

But one thing that a mother on TikTok has brought to the attention of others, is that the mirrors that go with the seats actually pose a risk to the children.

Natausha Furlong, who goes by the handle @morethanjustamother, showed the video of smoke coming from her daughter's car seat on the video-sharing platform.

"If you have a car seat, you need to watch this," Natausha began. "I didn't even know this was a thing until it literally just happened."

She continued: "It could have been so much worse, it could have been a way worse situation. I want to share it with you guys because the weather is getting nice, it's getting hot, and you need to know."

The concerned mother then shows a beam of light on the car seat that appears to be smoking, to which she reveals that it's actually on fire.

"I just opened my car door to put my daughter in her seat," Natausha continued. "Her car seat is on fire from the heat."

The mother warned others after the seat caught fire. Credit: Ryan McVay/Getty Images

Completely shocked by the situation, the TikToker reveals that the sunlight is reflecting off of a mirror on the back of the front seat that is used to keep an eye on the child.

The beam of light left a noticeable burn mark on the seat, proving that it was incredibly lucky that Natausha spotted it before her daughter was in the vehicle or it had been left for an extended period of time.

People flooded the comments with their thoughts, as one person wrote: "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, that would’ve never crossed my mind!"

A second person said: "That is terrifying. Could of been her. Also why aren't car seats made out of none flammable material? You should send this to the manufacture [sic]," however another pointed out that it did appear that the seat was flame retardant as it was singing rather than going up in flames altogether.

Thankfully the mom noticed before strapping her child in the seat. Credit: RyanJLane/Getty Images

Another parent offered a suggestion to combat the hot weather: "Just to add with the weather getting hot, I throw a white fitted crib sheet over the seat when it’s not in use, keeps the buckles cool."

This is pretty scary, so make sure all mirrors in your car aren't reflecting the light as the weather gets nicer!

Featured image credit: Erik Mclean / Pexels

Mom issues urgent warning to parents after daughter's car seat catches on fire

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

A mom has issued a warning to other parents as she showed a video where he daughter's car seat caught on fire due to the sun.

Being a parent often means spending your time worrying about the well-being of your child - after all, they depend on you for basically everything for most of their youth.

Getting a car seat for an infant is parenting 101, as simply strapping them into the seat of a car would be incredibly dangerous.

But one thing that a mother on TikTok has brought to the attention of others, is that the mirrors that go with the seats actually pose a risk to the children.

Natausha Furlong, who goes by the handle @morethanjustamother, showed the video of smoke coming from her daughter's car seat on the video-sharing platform.

"If you have a car seat, you need to watch this," Natausha began. "I didn't even know this was a thing until it literally just happened."

She continued: "It could have been so much worse, it could have been a way worse situation. I want to share it with you guys because the weather is getting nice, it's getting hot, and you need to know."

The concerned mother then shows a beam of light on the car seat that appears to be smoking, to which she reveals that it's actually on fire.

"I just opened my car door to put my daughter in her seat," Natausha continued. "Her car seat is on fire from the heat."

The mother warned others after the seat caught fire. Credit: Ryan McVay/Getty Images

Completely shocked by the situation, the TikToker reveals that the sunlight is reflecting off of a mirror on the back of the front seat that is used to keep an eye on the child.

The beam of light left a noticeable burn mark on the seat, proving that it was incredibly lucky that Natausha spotted it before her daughter was in the vehicle or it had been left for an extended period of time.

People flooded the comments with their thoughts, as one person wrote: "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, that would’ve never crossed my mind!"

A second person said: "That is terrifying. Could of been her. Also why aren't car seats made out of none flammable material? You should send this to the manufacture [sic]," however another pointed out that it did appear that the seat was flame retardant as it was singing rather than going up in flames altogether.

Thankfully the mom noticed before strapping her child in the seat. Credit: RyanJLane/Getty Images

Another parent offered a suggestion to combat the hot weather: "Just to add with the weather getting hot, I throw a white fitted crib sheet over the seat when it’s not in use, keeps the buckles cool."

This is pretty scary, so make sure all mirrors in your car aren't reflecting the light as the weather gets nicer!

Featured image credit: Erik Mclean / Pexels