Buckingham Palace aide resigns over 'unacceptable' comments made at Queen Consort's reception

vt-author-image

By Nasima Khatun

Article saved!Article saved!

A member of Buckingham Palace's household has recently resigned over some "unacceptable" comments that were made at the Queen Consort's reception.

As per Sky News, Ngozi Fulani, the chief executive of Sistah Space, said she was asked by the individual in question where she "really came from" during an event that took place at the palace.

Posting to Twitter via the non-profit's account, she wrote: "Mixed feelings about yesterday's visit to Buckingham Palace. 10 mins after arriving, a member of staff, Lady SH, approached me, moved my hair to see my name badge."

She also added a screenshot of the alleged conversation that took place after the initial interaction, stating that the rest of the event became a "blur" after it occurred.

Fulani claimed that the household member asked her what part of Africa she was from, placing extra emphasis on the word "you" and despite her responding by saying she was British, the person kept pushing her, stating: "I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from."

The rest of the screenshot shows the full conversation, with the household member apparently going as far as guessing a location, adding that they knew "we would get there in the end!"

Since the news was posted to social media, other prominent figures related to the royal family have come out to voice their support for Fulani.

Biographer and author of Meghan Markle's Finding Freedom, Omid Scoobie, retweeted the post in a tweet alongside the caption: Ngozi Fulani is the founder of @Sistah_Space - an award winning non-profit supporting women and families affected by domestic abuse while ensuring cultural factors are considered and understood. This is her experience at Tuesday's Buckingham Palace gender-based violence reception."

The Palace itself has now spoken out about the alleged events that took place, according to the outlet. In a statement, they emphasized that they would be launching a full-scale investigation to get answers.

"We take this incident extremely seriously and have investigated immediately to establish the full details. In this instance, unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments have been made. We have reached out to Ngozi Fulani on this matter, and are inviting her to discuss all elements of her experience in person if she wishes.

They continued: "In the meantime, the individual concerned would like to express her profound apologies for the hurt caused and has stepped aside from her honorary role with immediate effect.

"All members of the household are being reminded of the diversity and inclusivity policies which they are required to uphold at all times."

Now, this isn't the first time we've heard accusations like this being thrown at Buckingham Palace.

The Duchess of Sussex has previously claimed that a member of the royal household raised concerns about what color skin her son Archie would have even before he was born.

wp-image-1263180907 size-large
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, holding their son Archie. Credit: PA Images / Alamy

The palace responded to the accusations by saying that "issues raised, particularly that of race" were "concerning" and it would be addressed privately.

Featured Image Credit: A. Astes / Alamy

Buckingham Palace aide resigns over 'unacceptable' comments made at Queen Consort's reception

vt-author-image

By Nasima Khatun

Article saved!Article saved!

A member of Buckingham Palace's household has recently resigned over some "unacceptable" comments that were made at the Queen Consort's reception.

As per Sky News, Ngozi Fulani, the chief executive of Sistah Space, said she was asked by the individual in question where she "really came from" during an event that took place at the palace.

Posting to Twitter via the non-profit's account, she wrote: "Mixed feelings about yesterday's visit to Buckingham Palace. 10 mins after arriving, a member of staff, Lady SH, approached me, moved my hair to see my name badge."

She also added a screenshot of the alleged conversation that took place after the initial interaction, stating that the rest of the event became a "blur" after it occurred.

Fulani claimed that the household member asked her what part of Africa she was from, placing extra emphasis on the word "you" and despite her responding by saying she was British, the person kept pushing her, stating: "I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from."

The rest of the screenshot shows the full conversation, with the household member apparently going as far as guessing a location, adding that they knew "we would get there in the end!"

Since the news was posted to social media, other prominent figures related to the royal family have come out to voice their support for Fulani.

Biographer and author of Meghan Markle's Finding Freedom, Omid Scoobie, retweeted the post in a tweet alongside the caption: Ngozi Fulani is the founder of @Sistah_Space - an award winning non-profit supporting women and families affected by domestic abuse while ensuring cultural factors are considered and understood. This is her experience at Tuesday's Buckingham Palace gender-based violence reception."

The Palace itself has now spoken out about the alleged events that took place, according to the outlet. In a statement, they emphasized that they would be launching a full-scale investigation to get answers.

"We take this incident extremely seriously and have investigated immediately to establish the full details. In this instance, unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments have been made. We have reached out to Ngozi Fulani on this matter, and are inviting her to discuss all elements of her experience in person if she wishes.

They continued: "In the meantime, the individual concerned would like to express her profound apologies for the hurt caused and has stepped aside from her honorary role with immediate effect.

"All members of the household are being reminded of the diversity and inclusivity policies which they are required to uphold at all times."

Now, this isn't the first time we've heard accusations like this being thrown at Buckingham Palace.

The Duchess of Sussex has previously claimed that a member of the royal household raised concerns about what color skin her son Archie would have even before he was born.

wp-image-1263180907 size-large
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, holding their son Archie. Credit: PA Images / Alamy

The palace responded to the accusations by saying that "issues raised, particularly that of race" were "concerning" and it would be addressed privately.

Featured Image Credit: A. Astes / Alamy