Entertainment News4 min(s) read
Judge confirms the one thing Perez Hilton must do if he wants to see his 3 kids again
Perez Hilton will be required to receive psychiatric clearance before he can resume seeing his three children, according to a new court order.
The celebrity blogger's mother, Teresita Lavandeira, filed for temporary custody of 13-year-old Mario, 11-year-old Mia, and eight-year-old Mayte after Hilton allegedly injured himself with a knife during a livestream on August 4.
Hilton has yet to receive clearance
A Miami judge has now granted Teresita, 72, broad authority over the children's schooling, healthcare, and other aspects of their care.
However, the ruling does not prevent Hilton, 48, from seeing his children altogether. Instead, any visits must be supervised and can only take place once he has received psychiatric clearance.
The court order states: “Any visitation with Respondent shall be supervised either with an agreed upon family member or a therapist until further order of the Court or agreement of the parties, so long as Respondent has obtained psychiatric clearance.”
Hilton reportedly agreed to the arrangement, which was entered as a confidential final judgment on August 18.
The decision does not mean he has permanently lost his parental rights. Judge Laura Cruz retained jurisdiction over the case and could eventually approve a “transition plan” allowing custody to return to Hilton if his circumstances improve.
The incident that led to Hilton's hospitalization
Hilton remains in hospital after reportedly suffering significant blood loss and injuries following the horrifying incident during a TikTok livestream.
According to a police report, his sister Barbara Giarraffa, 42, discovered him naked and covered in blood inside the Miami property he shares with his mother.
She reportedly took the children to her car and drove away, with Hilton allegedly following them outside and banging on the vehicle's windows.
He subsequently locked himself inside the house and injured himself with a knife before emergency responders persuaded him to come outside.
Hilton was treated for lacerations and an overdose and was subsequently placed under Florida's Baker Act, which allows someone experiencing a mental health crisis to be held involuntarily for assessment.
Once he is medically discharged, the legislation gives doctors a 72-hour period in which they can arrange a psychiatric evaluation.
Despite the 72-hour period, Florida attorney Mark Astor previously suggested it would be unlikely for Hilton to simply walk out once that period expires.
“You don't just get to walk out of there after 72 hours,” Astor told the Daily Mail.
He explained that there are several potential outcomes, three of which are the most likely.
“Number one, they could release him. Number two, they get him to agree to stay on a voluntary basis.
“Or number three, they could file what's known as a petition for involuntary placement,” Astor said.
If the third option is pursued, a Miami-Dade judge would hold a hearing to determine whether Hilton should remain in treatment.
“Most of the time these things take place inside the actual facility,” Astor explained.
“There'll probably be a doctor there from the facility saying this is why we need more time.”
Patients can potentially be detained for up to six months, although Astor suggested a 30-day order would be more realistic in Hilton's circumstances.
Teresita and Barbara could potentially seek to have him transferred to a private treatment facility, although Astor estimated this could cost between $15,000 and $30,000 per month.
“If he's willing to get help, great,” Astor said. “It's possible they come to an agreement with the state for what's known as a bed-to-bed transfer.”
He added: “They could potentially file for a guardianship. In effect, they would be saying to the judge, listen, we want to get the state out of the picture here.
“He's got a family that loves him and we want to be the decision makers for him.”
Hilton moved from Las Vegas to Miami earlier this summer in an effort to focus on his family, following a serious bout of sepsis that left him hospitalized for 21 days and required two surgeries.
He later told the Daily Mail that the experience had prompted him to become a born-again Christian.
A statement published on the Perez Hilton website on Monday said: “At this time, Perez remains hospitalized and is receiving the medical care he needs.”
“His treatment is continuing in an inpatient setting under the care of a dedicated team of medical and mental health professionals."













