Stevie Wonder reveals he's taking a break from music to have a kidney transplant
Stevie Wonder performed at the British Summer Time festival in Hyde Park, London this weekend. Taking to the stage to play his many classic songs, he also made a revelation to fans of his music that had gathered there that day.
Addressing the crowd, the 69-year-old revealed that he's now taking a break from music. Wonder told the packed crowd that he requires a kidney transplant, but revealed that he has been fortunate enough to find a donor for the surgery.
Speaking to the crowd assembled on Saturday 6 July, he said:
"I'm going to have surgery, I'm going to have a kidney transplant in September of this year. It's all good, it's all good, I'm all good, I have a donor...
"I want you to know, I came here to give you my love and to thank you for your love. You ain't got to hear no rumours about nothing, I told you what's up. I'm good."
The music icon has planned to perform three more shows before the transplant needs to go ahead in September.
Speculation over his health and well-being have spread over recent months, especially given what musician Joan Belgrave said about his health recently.
"He's got some health challenges, but he doesn't want a big PR thing out of this," Belgrave told Detroit Free Press earlier this week. "He knows what he has to do to get himself together, and he’s doing it.
"He’s got a team around him — that’s what he needs. He’s got people around him who love him. He's in great spirits. You would never know anything is going on. That's how he wants it, and that's how he wants to keep it. He’s making music and doing what he does, and that’s what he wants to focus on."
This wasn't the first time that Wonder had appeared at the British Summer Time event, as he first took to the stage there in 2016. This time, he performed with support from friend and fellow music legend Lionel Richie.
Hopefully, he pulls through following the transplant, and continues to perform to his heart's content.