'Massive Search' for Jay Slater to start this morning after Spanish police issue appeal for volunteers

vt-author-image

By stefan armitage

Article saved!Article saved!

A "massive search" for Jay Slater is underway this morning following an urgent appeal from the Spanish Civil Guard.

Screenshot2024-06-19at10.53.21 (1).jpegA "massive search" is taking place on Saturday, June 29. Credit: Facebook

The search for the missing 19-year-old has now entered its 13th day. With each passing hour, concern for the teenager's well-being grows.

Jay - from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire - was reported missing on June 17 by his friend Lucy Mae Law after a night attending an NRG music festival event in Tenerife.

Prior to his disappearance, Jay had opted to stay with two men he had met that evening rather than accompany his friends back to their shared accommodation. The next morning, Jay called Lucy at around 8:15AM to say that he was lost, thirsty, and that he was going to attempt to walk back to their holiday apartment - a journey that would have taken him around 10 hours.

In newly revealed information, Jay's other friend - Brad Hargreaves - has also spoken out about a FaceTime call the two teens shared that morning.

Brad - who had been with Jay at the music event the night before - told ITV News: "[Jay] was on the phone walking down a road and he’d gone over a little bit - not a big drop - but a tiny little drop and he was going down, and he said ‘I’ll ring ya back, I’ll ring ya back’ because I think someone else was ringing him.

"If he was thinking like me, he would have gone back up and started walking on the path again... He wouldn't have gone all that way down there."

"I knew he went off the road because I could hear like when you walk on gravel.. stones," Brad added.

Shortly after 9:00AM, Lucy Mae reported Jay missing to local authorities.

Jay's phone was last tracked near the village of Masca, located in the mountainous Rural de Teno Park area. This is where the primary search efforts have taken place ever since.

A "busqueda masiva" - or "massive search" - has now been organized for 9:00AM on Saturday (June 29).



In a statement, the police chief of the Civil Guard in Tenerife - Angel Sanz Coronado - said that officers will be joined by specialist search dog teams to try and find Jay, and called on volunteers to assist.

“Given that it is a steep, rocky area, full of uneven terrain and with many ravines, tracks and trails," Coronado said in an update (translated).

"We request the collaboration of all those volunteer associations that can help in this planned search that is intended to be carried out in a directed and coordinated way.

“This massive search will begin on Saturday, 29 June at 09:00 hours. A meeting point will be established at the Mirador de la Cruz de Hilda in Masca to start the search in a logical and orderly way along the many paths and ravines that are found in Masca."

Joaquin Amills - a local man who founded the missing persons organization SOS Desaparecidos over 20 years ago following the disappearance of his own son - has spoken out, calling on Jay's family to remain patient with local authorities.

jay slater.jpegCredit: Instagram

Per the Mirror, Amills said: "If I had Jay’s family in front of me I would tell them to confide in the Civil Guard because it’s a professional force and for me one of the best there is in Europe and they empathise fully with the pain families like this missing lad feel.

“I would also tell them that the more silence there is from the Civil Guard, the more they’re working. That’s always the case.

“Thirdly for the security of the investigation itself which are also the interests of the family, it’s normal the Civil Guard doesn’t pass on any information unless it feels it’s strictly necessary and relevant to do so when a particular line of investigation has been exhausted.

Screenshot2024-06-24at11.32.38 (1).jpegJay Slater with his mom, Debbie Duncan. Credit: Facebook

He added that the Spanish Civil Guard "do the right thing" by not releasing too many statements in the early stages of an investigation like this - despite how frustrating it can be for a family from overseas.

Featured image credit: Instagram

'Massive Search' for Jay Slater to start this morning after Spanish police issue appeal for volunteers

vt-author-image

By stefan armitage

Article saved!Article saved!

A "massive search" for Jay Slater is underway this morning following an urgent appeal from the Spanish Civil Guard.

Screenshot2024-06-19at10.53.21 (1).jpegA "massive search" is taking place on Saturday, June 29. Credit: Facebook

The search for the missing 19-year-old has now entered its 13th day. With each passing hour, concern for the teenager's well-being grows.

Jay - from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire - was reported missing on June 17 by his friend Lucy Mae Law after a night attending an NRG music festival event in Tenerife.

Prior to his disappearance, Jay had opted to stay with two men he had met that evening rather than accompany his friends back to their shared accommodation. The next morning, Jay called Lucy at around 8:15AM to say that he was lost, thirsty, and that he was going to attempt to walk back to their holiday apartment - a journey that would have taken him around 10 hours.

In newly revealed information, Jay's other friend - Brad Hargreaves - has also spoken out about a FaceTime call the two teens shared that morning.

Brad - who had been with Jay at the music event the night before - told ITV News: "[Jay] was on the phone walking down a road and he’d gone over a little bit - not a big drop - but a tiny little drop and he was going down, and he said ‘I’ll ring ya back, I’ll ring ya back’ because I think someone else was ringing him.

"If he was thinking like me, he would have gone back up and started walking on the path again... He wouldn't have gone all that way down there."

"I knew he went off the road because I could hear like when you walk on gravel.. stones," Brad added.

Shortly after 9:00AM, Lucy Mae reported Jay missing to local authorities.

Jay's phone was last tracked near the village of Masca, located in the mountainous Rural de Teno Park area. This is where the primary search efforts have taken place ever since.

A "busqueda masiva" - or "massive search" - has now been organized for 9:00AM on Saturday (June 29).



In a statement, the police chief of the Civil Guard in Tenerife - Angel Sanz Coronado - said that officers will be joined by specialist search dog teams to try and find Jay, and called on volunteers to assist.

“Given that it is a steep, rocky area, full of uneven terrain and with many ravines, tracks and trails," Coronado said in an update (translated).

"We request the collaboration of all those volunteer associations that can help in this planned search that is intended to be carried out in a directed and coordinated way.

“This massive search will begin on Saturday, 29 June at 09:00 hours. A meeting point will be established at the Mirador de la Cruz de Hilda in Masca to start the search in a logical and orderly way along the many paths and ravines that are found in Masca."

Joaquin Amills - a local man who founded the missing persons organization SOS Desaparecidos over 20 years ago following the disappearance of his own son - has spoken out, calling on Jay's family to remain patient with local authorities.

jay slater.jpegCredit: Instagram

Per the Mirror, Amills said: "If I had Jay’s family in front of me I would tell them to confide in the Civil Guard because it’s a professional force and for me one of the best there is in Europe and they empathise fully with the pain families like this missing lad feel.

“I would also tell them that the more silence there is from the Civil Guard, the more they’re working. That’s always the case.

“Thirdly for the security of the investigation itself which are also the interests of the family, it’s normal the Civil Guard doesn’t pass on any information unless it feels it’s strictly necessary and relevant to do so when a particular line of investigation has been exhausted.

Screenshot2024-06-24at11.32.38 (1).jpegJay Slater with his mom, Debbie Duncan. Credit: Facebook

He added that the Spanish Civil Guard "do the right thing" by not releasing too many statements in the early stages of an investigation like this - despite how frustrating it can be for a family from overseas.

Featured image credit: Instagram