Spanish authorities release new footage of search for missing Jay Slater

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

As the search for Jay Slater continues, Spanish authorities have released new footage of their efforts to locate him.

Screenshot2024-06-19at20.34.24(1).jpegCredit: Instagram

As widely reported, Jay - from Lancashire in the UK - went missing on June 17 after he had spent the evening with two British men in an Airbnb in Tenerife.

Jay had been attending the NRG music festival with his friends, but opted to stay out when they went back to their shared accommodation.

The following morning, Jay called his friend Lucy Mae Law to say that his phone was on one percent and he was about to begin a 10-hour walk back to where they were staying.

This was the last time he was heard from.

Screenshot2024-06-19at10.53.21(1) (1).jpegCredit: Facebook

The search effort is currently focused on Masca, a mountainous area on the western tip of the island.

This village, situated at an altitude of 650 meters and home to around 90 residents, is where Slater was last known to be, per Sky News.

Footage released by Spanish police shows a helicopter scouring the rugged terrain, with search teams on foot accompanied by sniffer dogs. Check it out below:


The teams can be seen entering wooded areas and navigating the mountainous region. In one clip, an officer uses binoculars in an attempt to spot any signs of the missing teen.

The 35-second montage of clips was posted on the Guardia Civil's account on the X social media platform.

The Civil Guard wrote: "We continue with the search for the young British man who disappeared in Tenerife

“Different civil guard units from the area participate, joined by agents with their dogs specialized in searching for people from #Madrid.”



The footage comes after Mayor Emilio Jose Navarro revealed that some locals had apparently seen a person closely resembling Jay Slater watching the Euros 2024 soccer tournament on the coast.

Another reported sighting was revealed by the teen's family - who released a still from CCTV footage capturing a man walking across a church square in Santiago del Teide village around 6:00PM on the day Jay went missing.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 10.26.07.jpgCCTV footage shows a person resembling Jay Slater 10 hours after his disappearance. Credit: Family Handout

This would have been around 10 hours after Jay was last seen.

The footage came about after Jay's family revealed that somebody had "come forward" claiming they saw somebody who resembled Jay on June 17.

In a statement to the MailOnline, concerned mom Debbie said: "Someone has come forward to say they saw someone who they thought was Jay walking back down the road sat on a bench.

“He was with two men looking a bit worse for wear, and they were by a church, this guy has come forward and told the police about it and they are looking into it. We don’t know if it was Jay for sure, but it’s a start."

The village lies approximately 7km from the Airbnb where Jay spent the evening prior.

The Civil Guard in Tenerife have yet to confirm the validity of this lead as a credible possibility, but a spokesperson has said, per LBC: "Nothing has been ruled out and nothing has been ruled."

The Civil Guard's video was also released after Jay's father has expressed frustration over the family's lack of information from some officers.

According to a report from The Times, the search dogs have not been provided with a piece of Slater’s clothing to establish his scent. Nonetheless, cadaver dogs, which do not require a specific prompt to detect human remains, are being utilized in the search.

As the search for Slater enters its second week, details about his past have surfaced on social media.

According to The Independent, Slater was one of eight individuals involved in a brutal assault on Tom Hilton in 2021 in Rishton, Lancashire.

The attack, carried out with a machete, golf clubs, and an axe, left Hilton with severe injuries, including a split skull and deep wounds.

Screenshot2024-06-22at09.49.57.jpegJay Slater's final Snapchat. Credit: Snapchat

Despite some online comments suggesting Slater's disappearance is "karma" - but Hilton has urged people to show compassion.

In a now-deleted post, Hilton, who is also 19, wrote: "Whoever is writing on these TikToks, give it a rest. This young lad's missing and his family's heartbroken. Put yourself in their shoes."

"Stop talking nonsense on social and get this lad found, mentioning my name all this and that. Have some respect and help find this boy and get him back to his family," Hilton added.

Featured image credit: Facebook

Spanish authorities release new footage of search for missing Jay Slater

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

As the search for Jay Slater continues, Spanish authorities have released new footage of their efforts to locate him.

Screenshot2024-06-19at20.34.24(1).jpegCredit: Instagram

As widely reported, Jay - from Lancashire in the UK - went missing on June 17 after he had spent the evening with two British men in an Airbnb in Tenerife.

Jay had been attending the NRG music festival with his friends, but opted to stay out when they went back to their shared accommodation.

The following morning, Jay called his friend Lucy Mae Law to say that his phone was on one percent and he was about to begin a 10-hour walk back to where they were staying.

This was the last time he was heard from.

Screenshot2024-06-19at10.53.21(1) (1).jpegCredit: Facebook

The search effort is currently focused on Masca, a mountainous area on the western tip of the island.

This village, situated at an altitude of 650 meters and home to around 90 residents, is where Slater was last known to be, per Sky News.

Footage released by Spanish police shows a helicopter scouring the rugged terrain, with search teams on foot accompanied by sniffer dogs. Check it out below:


The teams can be seen entering wooded areas and navigating the mountainous region. In one clip, an officer uses binoculars in an attempt to spot any signs of the missing teen.

The 35-second montage of clips was posted on the Guardia Civil's account on the X social media platform.

The Civil Guard wrote: "We continue with the search for the young British man who disappeared in Tenerife

“Different civil guard units from the area participate, joined by agents with their dogs specialized in searching for people from #Madrid.”



The footage comes after Mayor Emilio Jose Navarro revealed that some locals had apparently seen a person closely resembling Jay Slater watching the Euros 2024 soccer tournament on the coast.

Another reported sighting was revealed by the teen's family - who released a still from CCTV footage capturing a man walking across a church square in Santiago del Teide village around 6:00PM on the day Jay went missing.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 10.26.07.jpgCCTV footage shows a person resembling Jay Slater 10 hours after his disappearance. Credit: Family Handout

This would have been around 10 hours after Jay was last seen.

The footage came about after Jay's family revealed that somebody had "come forward" claiming they saw somebody who resembled Jay on June 17.

In a statement to the MailOnline, concerned mom Debbie said: "Someone has come forward to say they saw someone who they thought was Jay walking back down the road sat on a bench.

“He was with two men looking a bit worse for wear, and they were by a church, this guy has come forward and told the police about it and they are looking into it. We don’t know if it was Jay for sure, but it’s a start."

The village lies approximately 7km from the Airbnb where Jay spent the evening prior.

The Civil Guard in Tenerife have yet to confirm the validity of this lead as a credible possibility, but a spokesperson has said, per LBC: "Nothing has been ruled out and nothing has been ruled."

The Civil Guard's video was also released after Jay's father has expressed frustration over the family's lack of information from some officers.

According to a report from The Times, the search dogs have not been provided with a piece of Slater’s clothing to establish his scent. Nonetheless, cadaver dogs, which do not require a specific prompt to detect human remains, are being utilized in the search.

As the search for Slater enters its second week, details about his past have surfaced on social media.

According to The Independent, Slater was one of eight individuals involved in a brutal assault on Tom Hilton in 2021 in Rishton, Lancashire.

The attack, carried out with a machete, golf clubs, and an axe, left Hilton with severe injuries, including a split skull and deep wounds.

Screenshot2024-06-22at09.49.57.jpegJay Slater's final Snapchat. Credit: Snapchat

Despite some online comments suggesting Slater's disappearance is "karma" - but Hilton has urged people to show compassion.

In a now-deleted post, Hilton, who is also 19, wrote: "Whoever is writing on these TikToks, give it a rest. This young lad's missing and his family's heartbroken. Put yourself in their shoes."

"Stop talking nonsense on social and get this lad found, mentioning my name all this and that. Have some respect and help find this boy and get him back to his family," Hilton added.

Featured image credit: Facebook