Squatter arrested for launching firework during Remembrance Sunday two-minute silence

Squatter arrested for launching firework during Remembrance Sunday two-minute silence

All week, people around the world have been taking part in services and events in order to celebrate Armistice Day and remember the people - past and present - who have paid the ultimate price for our country.

However, during yesterday's Remembrance Sunday two-minute silence, a man showed total disrespect after he launched a firework into a crowd of war veterans, The Sun has reported.

The Queen Leads Britain In Remembrance Day Tribute:

Stuart Potts, a 38-year-old squatter, set off the firework shortly after the 11:00am moment of silence began. He launched the rocket into the crowd in Eccles, Salford, as dozens of people were paying their respects.

Shortly after footage emerged of Potts sitting on a roof and window ledge of a disused pub, police were able to locate and arrest him. He has since been charged with a public order offense and for firing fireworks into a public space.

Potts will appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court this Armistice Day.

The disrespectful act saw furious locals hurl traffic cones at Potts, as they shouted: "Get him out". Several people in their military uniforms also attempted to enter the building. As they did, a second man allegedly came to a window and spat at the furious crowd.

Recalling the incident, one witness has said:

"They were just about to do the bugle call when I saw these fireworks coming from an upstairs window of the pub. There were about three or four rockets and they could easily have hit some of the veterans who were here.

"It was disgusting and showed a total lack of respect."

Credit: PA Images

Yesterday, crowds gathered across the UK in order to pay their respects to the fallen. In London, the Queen shed a tear as she was joined by Kate Middleton and other members of the Royal Family on the balcony of the cenotaph, as the traditional wreath-laying service took place.