Iran fires 22 ballistic missiles into US military base in Iraq

Iran fires 22 ballistic missiles into US military base in Iraq

As confirmed by the Pentagon, the POTUS, and the Iraqi military, last night (5:30pm EST on January 7), Iran fired 22 ballistic missiles at two bases used by US and coalition forces in Iraq.

The al-Assad airbase in western Iraq and a base in Erbil in the northern region of the country came under attack last night, with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard later confirming that they launched the attack in retaliation for last week's killing of Major General Qassem Soleimani in a US airstrike, Sky News has reported.

The US Department of Defense has issued a press statement confirming the attacks, saying:

"At approximately 5:30 p.m. (EST) on January 7, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq.  It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil. 

"We are working on initial battle damage assessments.

"In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners. These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.

"As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region.

"Due to the dynamic nature of the situation, we will continue to provide updates as they become available."

Following the strikes, President Donald Trump tweeted out: "All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning."

The Daily Mail has reported that US troops took shelter in bunkers during the strikes. Speaking to USA Today, a US official said: "The early warning system worked." They also confirmed that it appears that a hangar was damaged at the Ain Assad base.

During a press conference last night, President Trump said: "If Iran does anything that they shouldn't be doing, then they will be suffering the consequences."

Check out the conference below:

And when asked if the US was prepared for a military attack from Iran, Trump confirmed that they are prepared, and that they are "prepared to retaliate as retribution".

In response to the strikes, Saeed Jalili - an Iranian conservative politician and diplomat who was secretary of the Supreme National Security Council and Iran's nuclear negotiator - tweeted an image of the Iran flag:

More on this story as it develops...