President Trump says Iran 'appears to be standing down' following missile strike

President Trump says Iran 'appears to be standing down' following missile strike

Trump has today announced that no Americans were harmed in last night's attack at bases used by US and coalition forces in Iraq. The President paid tribute to the skill and courage of the American military, while noting that "Iran appears to be standing down,” as per The Guardian.

Speaking of Iranian general Qassem Suleimani, Trump said “Last week we eliminated the world’s top terrorist”.

Per The Guardian, President Trump declared that he will look to impose additional economic sanctions on Iran.

Trump reiterated his position that “Iran will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon.” He added that Americans should be “extremely grateful and happy” with the outcome.

"Today, I am going to ask NATO to become much more involved in the middle east process," he added.

Cut to 32 minutes in the video below for Trump's address:

This comes after Iran fired 22 ballistic missiles at two bases used by US and coalition forces in Iraq, as confirmed by the Pentagon, the POTUS, and the Iraqi military.

The al-Assad airbase in western Iraq and a base in Erbil in the northern region of the country came under attack, with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard later confirming that they launched the attack in retaliation for last week's killing of Major General Qassem Soleimani in a US airstrike, Sky News reported.

The US Department of Defense issued a statement confirming the attacks, which stated:

"At approximately 5:30 p.m. (EST) on January 7, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq.  It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil. 

"We are working on initial battle damage assessments.

"In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners. These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.

"As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region.

"Due to the dynamic nature of the situation, we will continue to provide updates as they become available."

Following the attack, President Trump previously tweeted;

"All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning."